Tuesday, May 29, 2012

REVIEW: THE DEVOURING BY SIMON HOLT.

Title: The Devouring
Author: Simon Holt
Series: The Devouring #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: January 1, 2008 by Little, Brown and Company
Source: Bought
Pages: 231
Genre: Horror

Synopsis:

The Vours: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.

To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?

The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare?

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

I am not really fond of anything horror since The Ring (Japanese version) and you will really really REALLY frighten me if you would show me... Argh, can't even type it!! *Goosebumps* Since I was a kid, I became paranoid with ghosts and all because I grew up in the province plus I think I could sense them. I could be brave at times but whenever I think of The Ring, I feel like my heart is going to come out of my chest because I am so much scared of it. *Goosebumps*

When I saw the synopsis of The Devouring on Good Reads, I immediately thought that it's a good one. But never did I anticipate that it would scare the hell out of me! Yes, it did. Especially the part where there's this sinister smile on Henry's face. I hate my brain when it starts to imagine it! Come one! It's really a scary story.

The book was I think the first horror one I owned and read so I don't have anything to compare it to. I could say that yes, its got the thing that would give you adrenaline rush (if that's what the story intended to its readers) and its something you would definitely finish no matter how scared you are. (Imagine, I kept reading till 12MD!). The story about Vours has a very good flow because as we all know, an evil could make you see anything and I think fear is something it would showcase. The story would not just make you hide under your blankets but it teaches its readers how to conquer fears. That part was essential not only when it comes to demons but in our day to day lives, right? But you know what, I fell for Quinn! HAHA! Oops, not too much spoiler!

Reggie was a tough kid and I would have done the same thing to save Henry. Such a cute, fragile kiddo! I also like the part that Reggie was working for a small library! HAHA. This is going nowhere! All in all, I can't wait to get my hands on the Soulstice!

"I know a secret and secrets breed paranoia."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...