Monday, July 2, 2012

REVIEW: MATCHED BY ALLY CONDIE.

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Series: Matched #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: November 30, 2010 by Dutton Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought
Pages: 366 pages
Category: Dystopia, Romance

Synopsis:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

This book had me wondering why the cover's a lady in a bubble and later found out that it made sense. Purchased this around February this year and as you all know, I stack books. Finally this week, it was Matched's turn to be pulled off the shelf.

Matched is a dystopian book but more of a romance genre. It clearly showed the futuristic/dystopian settting through the air-trains, Final Bonquets for the elderly, microcards, tablets they always carry, food delivered from ports and the Maching Bonquet for the young adults. It is also set into a place where the Society rules and organizes everything, from what to read, write, do and who to be with. It is also separated from the Outer Provinces and their knowledge about history is limited.

Cassia Reyes (I liked the name BTW) started her adventure when she saw Ky as her Match aside from Xander. Take note: she couldn't be matched with Ky. Ever. That was the reason why I said the book is more on romance genre because it revolved on the love triangle. She was first matched with her best friend Xander but she got curious about Ky that she went a little bit rebellious just to be with him. It was kind of heart-breaking for me because Xander isn't only handsome and smart but also because she's her best friend. Who wouldn't want to marry their best friend? She has everything someone could've asked for! I was also a bit anxious maybe because I sympathize Xander and that I disagree with a lot of Cassia's decisions.

What I find most intriguing in this story is actually the poem Grandfather had given Cassia. Maybe its just me but I'm a bit skeptical about it. Maybe it would be better explained on Book 2 and with that alone, I am wishing I could fast forward up until this weekend so I could finish Crossed! Ky's story and Cassia's search for him make me want to skip sleep so I would have time for it!

Oh Xander.

"Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs."
"We could have been happy. I know that, and it is perhaps the hardest thing to know."

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I'm glad you left the link in a comment on my review. Did you ever read book 2, crossed?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...