Saturday, September 1, 2012

REVIEW: PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER BY STEPHEN CHBOSKY.

Title: Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Series: Standalone
Edition: Paperback
Publication: February 1st 1999 by MTV Books and Pocket Books
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 232
Genre: Romance, Contemporary

Synopsis:

'I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day... or wondering who did the heart breaking and why.'

Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

When I was still searching for this book months back with the cover I want, I felt that I NEEDED to have a copy just to know why everyone's been fussing about it. The reviews about this book and excitement for its movie seemed to be too engrossing, so I gave in to the hype.

The story was told through letters by Charlie, a fifteen year-old kid who's naive, sweet and intelligent with a very sad past. He wrote his letters in 1991 which basically talked about his friends, family, books, vices and sex experiences.

The book was okay. Charlie expressed his thoughts very well however, he cries so much that made him weak. Its as if he couldn't go through a day without crying. Despite his vices, he's able to maintain A's on his academics but still I don't think it's wise to treat a young character with such intense addiction. The way he expressed himself in the story felt very awkward to me. He's indeed a wallflower and I don't blame him for acting the way he did because of course I understand what he had to go through. It isn't easy to cope with his best friend's death and his childhood issues. After a couple of pages I assumed he was a disturbed boy and I was right. This character exudes negative feelings and honestly, I don't think I handled it well.

Charlie's character as a whole impacted me. While there were too much going on around him and in his mind, he managed to look at things in a different aspect. He valued people close to him and he did try his best to be there for everyone. This kid definitely needed affirmation and it pained me somehow that he's ignored and left-out. But you see, instead of voicing and doing something about what he feels, he kept silent - which is one thing I can't do.

And am just glad he didn't commit suicide.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...