Tuesday, September 4, 2012

REVIEW: THE SELECTION BY KIERA CASS.

Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Edition: Paperback (International)
Publication: April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 352 pages
Genre: Dystopia, Romance, Chick-Lit

Synopsis:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. 

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

The time I heard a lot of negative reviews for this one, I became instantly hesitant about it. But I know I shouldn't be swept away by whatever I read and how, just how can someone resist that gorgeous cover? As I've said on Twitter, it might probably be the best cover I've seen and I did hope that it would make justice to the story.

Illéa was a country formed after a war between United States and China now headed by Monarchs. Its citizens were categorized according to Caste, One being the rich and well-educated people while Eight being almost like slaves. America Singer belonged to Caste Five and her boyfriend Aspen Leger from Six. They've been secretly dating for about two years and their love was about to be tested when The Selection started. Prince Maxon will have to choose his future wife from ladies that would top the selection and America was one of them.

I thought the synopsis was similar to the TV Show The Bachelor. I liked that the story had a light dystopian approach. After reading it, I felt bad that I initially entertained doubts about it because I really enjoyed the story. America Singer was a very laid back protagonist that fitted perfectly to the plot. She was your typical girl who fell in love and got hurt but knew how to cope and be strong. In short, she's resilient. Aspen Leger was my favorite here because of the selflessness he showed. I understand that it was so stupid of him to hurt America just because he didn't want her to suffer and he didn't want her to choose a life when she could have more but you see, I look at it as selflessness. Not everyone's capable of seeing things the way Aspen had and I give him credit for that. While Prince Maxon was the perfect gentleman, but without the crown what could he do or be for America?

I wish we have book two available because this book is such a cliffhanger! Am sensing though that there would be a devastating heartbreak somewhere in the future so as early as now, let me prepare!

"I hope you find someone you can't live without.I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them."

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely!!
    I had been wary of reading it because of the negative reviews, but I really enjoyed it and cannot wait for the next book!
    Did you know they are considering it for a TV show or movie now? :)
    Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That would be great! Thank you for commenting, you made me smile! :D (currently so stressed out here at work!)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review, I've been wanting to read this book for a while now and I'm glad to see a positive review for it(I've seen lots of negative ones). I'll be sure to check it out now! :)

    Kaitlyn@Books and Bandanas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Ive only seen a few positive ones and am glad I liked it! Hope you'd like it too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...