Sunday, November 25, 2012

REVIEW: THE IRON KING BY JULIE KAGAWA.

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: February 1, 2010 by Harlequin Teen
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 363
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

I haven't had this book that long and I've heard nothing but good things about Julie Kagawa's debut novel, The Iron King, and I badly wanted to get my hands on it the moment I've purchased it. I'm glad its reading schedule is done.

Meghan Chase is a normal teenager living a normal life. She lives with her mom, step-dad and four-year-old brother, Ethan. When she's ready to face her eighteenth birthday and even excited to get her driving license after school, a lot of abnormal things started happening around her: Ethan attacked her and their mom then her best friend Robbie confessed he's inhuman.

Without a doubt, this novel has one of the most beautiful world building I've ever encountered. I loved how magical the Seelie and UnSeelie Courts, Winter and Summer Courts and Nevernever in general. It is very mythical and full of magic that I would love to see it in person.

I've read faery novels in the past and I have not gotten tired of it. Kagawa's writing is brilliant that I wanted to read the series non-stop. However, The Iron King didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. Kagawa incorporated In Midsummer Night's Dream in the novel and you could actually see few similar titles like The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Wizard of Oz, The Lord of the Rings among others. I loved how she was able to come up with breath-taking spin offs but I hoped for more. The first one hundred pages were too slow for me that I almost gave up on it but still, I held on and thankfully, the last one hundred pages didn't disappoint.

Meghan and Marchina are the only characters I hated. Their characters and their past might have been better. I just thought that someone as naive Meghan couldn't possibly defeat someone as powerful as Marchina that easily. It only took one page for their encounter and Meghan wasn't even beat up or something. That part actually made me skeptical, should the verdict be three or four stars. I hated that part. But good thing there's Puck, Ash and Grimalkin. Without these characters, I might have hated the novel altogether. They are endearing and powerful and I wanted to really follow their next adventure.

I may have disapproved on some parts of The Iron King but that wouldn't stop me from loving the world building and the outstanding characters one would only find in this novel. It is truly a heart-stopping adventure in a jaw-dropping world that would leave you asking for more..

... Ash and Puck!

"Combat doesn't have to be with swords... Emotions can be deadly weapons, and knowing your enemy's breaking point can be key to winning a battle."

6 comments:

  1. I remember feeling that The Iron King was really dragging in the beginning when I read it, but I also remember thinking that the next books in the series are leaps and bounds better than this first book.

    Also, it took me a while to get used to Kagawa's writing, but by the time I read the second book, I was hooked! Hopefully you'll feel the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really looking forward to reading The Iron Daughter! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to this book as well, and I'm glad you liked it! Great review, Kate! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your review, I'm reconsidering of not buying this book. But I'll take the risk, who knows, I might like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...