Monday, November 12, 2012

REVIEW: THE SERPENT'S SHADOW BY RICK RIORDAN.

Title: The Serpent's Shadow
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: Kane Chronicles #3
Edition: Paperback
Publication: May 1st 2012 by Hyperion Books
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 406
Genre: Mythology, Fantasy, Middle Grade

Summary:

He's b-a-a-ack! Despite their best efforts, Carter and Sadie Kane can't seem to keep Apophis, the chaos snake, down. Now Apophis is threatening to plunge the world into eternal darkness, and the Kanes are faced with the impossible task of having to destroy him once and for all. Unfortunately, the magicians of the House of Life are on the brink of civil war, the gods are divided, and the young initiates of Brooklyn House stand almost alone against the forces of chaos. The Kanes' only hope is an ancient spell that might turn the serpent's own shadow into a weapon, but the magic has been lost for a millennia. To find the answer they need, the Kanes must rely on the murderous ghost of a powerful magician who might be able to lead them to the serpent's shadow . . . or might lead them to their deaths in the depths of the underworld. Nothing less than the mortal world is at stake when the Kane family fulfills its destiny in this thrilling conclusion to the Kane Chronicles.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

This is the final book in Rick Riordan's Egyptian Mythology Trilogy, Kane Chronicles. I had this for quite some time now and I honestly forgotten about this copy because I've read The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire last May. I was planning on re-reading the first two books first but I just didn't have time so I jumped right to this one. Lucky, I did fully remember what occurred during the first two books.

The last installment basically happened six months after The Throne of Fire. Sadie and Carter still need to find a way to stop Apophis from swallowing the sun and prevent Doom's Day that along the way, they discover ancient secrets about the gods and also about themselves.

This review wouldn't be that long because this probably is the only Riordan book I marked four stars. I loved the adventure, sub-adventures, the mythological aspect, world building and the characters. Riordan always makes sure that his books would encapsulate facts and fantasy in such an educational and fun way that captures reader's hearts. Sadie and Carter's development as characters is just brilliant. Saving the world as teens might probably be too much for them but they managed to let go of selfishness that made them that courageous and heroic. The only thing I actually didn't like about this one is the fact that there were just too many puzzles the twins have to solve first before they could finally face Apophis. I understand the "need" of those mini-adventures to fully give an amazing story but too much of it didn't really work for me.

The Serpent's Shadow is the perfect ending to this series. It is truly nerve-wracking adventure that would make you jump off of your seat! There is just no other perfect ending to this than what Riordan provided and I wouldn't ask for anything else!

Thank you for this awesome Egyptian adventure, Uncle Rick!

"For what it’s worth: trust your feelings. I can’t promise that you’ll never get hurt again, but I can promise you the risk is worth it."

3 comments:

  1. Nice Review! I definitely agree with you on this one. I love Rick Riordan's books.

    Samaine@Bookworms Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Serpent's Shadow is a great book! I can't wait for the next book to come out so I can read it.

    Cath Brookes (Skagway)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...