Sunday, December 9, 2012

REVIEW: BURN FOR BURN BY JENNY HAN AND SIOBHAN VIVIAN.

Title: Burn for Burn
Authors: Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Series: Burn for Burn #1
Edition: Paperback
Published: September 18, 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought from Powerbooks
Pages: 368
Genre: Contemporary, Paranormal

Synopsis:

BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

Burn for Burn is absolutely nostalgic.

When I first heard some of my favorite bloggers satisfied about this novel, I knew I have to get it. I wasn't really into contemporary by that time so imagine how thrilled I was for a new YA genre. This is also my first Han/Vivian book and that basically added so much to the excitement.

At first, I was a little lost on how the novel transitioned from one point of view to another. I was beginning to feel that this might not be the one I was looking for. But when I passed sixty-eighty pages, I was surprised how deep I really was to the story! I can't even put it down! I am just so relieved that it redeemed me from getting disappointed.

The three main characters, Mary, Lilia and Kat, are different but the same. Did that make any sense? They are different when it comes to values yet they have experienced almost the same painful things from the same circle of friends. I loved how Han and Vivian conceptualized high school life in a way bullying, friendship, family and romance rolled into one shocking novel. Mary is a very shy girl and I think is the nicest. I thought she's just always keeping to herself but after knowing how horrible her past was, I felt proud of how much of a strong person she has become. She's determined that no one will ever hurt her again just like what Kat is doing. Kat on the other hand, is someone who just wouldn't care whatever people think and say about her. She fights for herself and easily gets back to whoever wrongs her and in the story, her ex-best friend Rennie is the one spreading terrible lies about her. Of course, there's so much only a girl can do and this time, Kat reaches the end of the rope and fights Rennie. Lillia is a wealthy Asian who happens to be Rennie's best friend. Rennie's definitely using her and she just doesn't defend herself at all. I hated how she easily forgives Rennie especially when something major happened to her over the summer. She's my least favorite character yet I have hopes that on the sequel, she would be tough enough.

The three of them when combined is almost like a destructive force waiting to happen. The revenge plotting, midnight meetings and other horrible things you could do to your so-called friends are just hilarious. Especially what they did to poor Alex. I cannot wait to know what happens next!

Burn for Burn is a novel everyone could easily relate to. So realistic, so surreal, so addictive!

"You can chalk up things to coincide so many times before you have to face the truth."

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...