Thursday, December 6, 2012

REVIEW: DEMONGLASS BY RACHEL HAWKINS.

Title: Demonglass
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall #2
Edition: Paperback
Publication: March 22nd 2011 by Disney
Source: Bought from Powerbooks
Pages: 384 pages
Genre: Paranormal, Romance

Synopsis:

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:


*THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS, I THINK*

Another heartbreaking cliffhanger.

I've had the book since October and last week was its reading schedule. I was honestly amazed by how Rachel Hawkins was able to write such an action-filled sequel to Hex Hall. I wouldn't miss this book for anything else because I surely missed those juicy and funny sarcasm. And Cal.

Months after defeating Alice, Sophia meets her Dad and agrees to spend time with him in England. She knows she would go through the Removal. She claims she doesn't want to be a "monster" like Alice but when Archer saves her life from The Eye, she changes her mind and even trains with her dad. She only needs know how to control her powers and figure out how to stop the foreseen war between them and The Eye.

I was really looking forward to meeting Sophia again. Her wit, combined with her sarcasm, is just hilarious! I honestly think that her character is very strong and she always has funny rebuttals to everything. I missed her. And am glad that in this novel, she seemed to have matured a little bit because of the way she have handled her ironic love life, her demon life and her dad. I loved how the father-daughter relationship progressed little by little. Knowing that Sophia's mom raised her, the relationship wasn't forced at all.

There was just so little of Archer that my heart aches. Even Cal. I know he's so dreamy but I really haven't seen much of them. The romance's build-up is probably one of the best parts of this novel. It wasn't too fast. Though there's a love triangle somewhere, I'm sure that Cal would be broken hearted in the end. Unless there's a miracle in the third book.

And I would have never imagined that old characters would transform in such annoying way. As in annoying, irritating and nonsense way. That's mostly what I didn't like with the story. Whenever I think of it, its as if nothing major really happened. Something is missing that I cannot point my finger to it. I was expecting more from Demonglass because I loved Hex Hall but I was disappointed with the outcome of this one. There could have been more to it aside from the agonizing ending.

Demonglass is a nice follow up novel with such a strong cliffhanger punch right in the stomach. It lived up to its wit and even became much powerful than I have ever anticipated. I hope Spell Bound's paper back would be released soon so I could stop dying wondering what happens next! It better be good!

"It sucks that we miss people like that. You think you've accepted that someone is out of your life, that you've grieved and it's over, and then bam. One little thing, and you feel like you've lost that person all over again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...