Thursday, December 13, 2012

REVIEW: SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY BY SUSAN DENNARD.

Title: Something Strange and Deadly
Author: Susan Dennard
Series: Something Strange and Deadly #1
Edition: Hardback
Publication: July 24, 2012 by HarperTeen
Source: Gifted
Pages: 388
Category: Romance, Horror, Paranormal, Steampunk

Synopsis:

The year is 1876, and there’s something strange and deadly loose in Philadelphia…

Eleanor Fitt has a lot to worry about. Her brother has gone missing, her family has fallen on hard times, and her mother is determined to marry her off to any rich young man who walks by. But this is nothing compared to what she’s just read in the newspaper—

The Dead are rising in Philadelphia.

And then, in a frightening attack, a zombie delivers a letter to Eleanor…from her brother.

Whoever is controlling the Dead army has taken her brother as well. If Eleanor is going to find him, she’ll have to venture into the lab of the notorious Spirit-Hunters, who protect the city from supernatural forces. But as Eleanor spends more time with the Spirit-Hunters, including their maddeningly stubborn yet handsome inventor, Daniel, the situation becomes dire. And now, not only is her reputation on the line, but her very life may hang in the balance.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

Something Strange and Deadly left me in pain.

I initially fell in love with the cover. It conveys dark and mysterious plot by merely looking at it. Then the synopsis just hit the jackpot! I've never read a "zombie" plotted novel and it definitely made it to Top Ten titles on my wishlist. Glad I got it as a birthday gift last September!

Eleonor Fitt is a sixteen-year-old member of high-society of Philadelphia with issues all over. Her mother wants her to soon marry the handsome and wealthy Clarence Wilcox to save them from poverty and his brother Elijah didn't show up at the train station when she was supposed to pick him up. Instead, a walking dead gave her a letter from her brother. Though she's so terrified and worried, she knows she has to find out what really happened to Elijah and how to stop the walking dead.

The setting was in 1876 and Dennard basically wrote a novel that depicted the era perfectly. The parasols, corsets, gowns, horses and operas were some of the things I find alluring. Not only am I reading a novel, I also get to picture how its like during those times. I loved how typical yet captivating the world building Dennard had created. I enjoyed following each character in such era I thought I would never appreciate in literary aspect.

As I go deeper into the story, there were major parts and characters I thought were predictable. There were also some parts I have doubts as to what really is the main plot and where the story is really going. I feel that the "walking dead" part and the "revenge" part where totally different points in the novel and it didn't work well for me. I adore the zombie-related plot and I find it fantastic (though gore) and I adore the Gas-trustees-bullying-and-using-the-Fitt part as well but I adore both in separate ways. I just couldn't adore them when put together.

I was really impressed how the characters progressed in the novel. Eleanor for example. From a princess type, she develops into such an admirable protagonist that isn't afraid to kill the dead or to find her missing brother. Living in a society where your reputation matters most, she did well. I also love how fast she thinks and analyzes some clues and how she doesn't hold grudge to others especially Clarance. I was actually betting for him to be Eleanor's husband. I thought he's perfect and just a little bit mysterious at first and I was totally broken by the end of the novel. I was expecting a love triangle that never happened. That part I wasn't sure if I would like thinking how I hate love triangles but still I ache for him. Daniel is strong and loving but I cannot see myself liking him just yet. I love Elijah, Jie and Joseph but the hate I feel for Eleanor's mother and Peger is just unexplainable.

The action-filled, dark, gore novel sprinkled with a little romance that one could not get over with ended painfully. Dennard chose to end book one in a way that completely torn my heart apart. Now I just couldn't wait to continue reading A Darkness Strange and Lovely to mend it! Overall, I enjoyed and liked it so much!

"Even the greatest feats of man lose their luster when one's head is filled with storm clouds."

6 comments:

  1. I love that you liked how the characters evolved, but I'm still thinking about reading it or not because of the gore, exactly how much gore is there???
    Lil Berry @ Forget About TV, Grab a Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA well the only gore part is the walking dead. Dennard describes the zombies a little too well. :D

      Delete
    2. Then I guess I will be reading it :D
      Thank you Kate

      Delete
  2. Wow it sounds like an intense ending!! I'm glad you liked the book so much. I own a copy and I'll probably read it soon. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Please read it soon! I wanna know what you think of it! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...