Wednesday, November 27, 2013

REVIEW: CINDER BY MARISSA MEYER.

Title: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Edition: Hardbound
Published: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 387
Source: Bought from Fullybooked
Category: Romance, Retelling
Trailer: Here.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and NobleFullybooked

Synopsis:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
I've seen several movie versions of my favorite childhood fairytale story, Cinderella. It doesnt matter whether it was a cartoon-Disney version or Drew Barrymore version because I truly loved them all. When I heard the buzz about Cinder last year, I knew I would love it. I only regret that I didn't get the hardbound copy I saw when it was still cheaper. Because the copy I have now is one of the most expensive books I own.

Cinder is a cyborg. She is only 36.28 percent human and she can't remember anything about her past after her operation. She is one of the best and only female mechanic in the Commonwealth. Her rude stepmother treats her as if she's a disgrace to humanity and makes her work to sustain the family needs. She can't complain at all because she's her legal guardian. Only Peony, her youngest step sister and Iko, the house android remain her friends. During their trip to the junkyard, Cinder finds marks on Peony's neck and knows instantly she's got Lemutosis -- a epidemic plague. She comms for a hover to take Peony in and what she doesn't anticipate is that her stepmother volunteered her to be a cyborg draft. She knows she will die soon enough because no one survives being a guinea pig to the plague but she discovers she's immune. That she's Lunar. That she's someone valuable.

At my 200th page mark, I wasn't still impressed with Cinder. I thought, "Really? Really?". Come on now guys, the Commonwealth society might have appeared poor but the medical technology they have is so advanced. They have been trying to find and make an antidote for the plague for decades but nada? Seriously? I don't agree that Cinder is the answer to the plague because this whole time, the doctor is just like her. The research team should have made incredible progress by now. But nothing. As in nothing. What they did progressed on though is Cinder's bloodline and DNA sequence. Which in my opinion should have been the least of their priorities. And one more thing, how in the world the ball helped in getting a ridiculous evil Lunar Queen to agree on an alliance which doesn't include marriage? She could have just easily manipulated the Prince to marry her. And how Peony...??? The way she...?? Aaaaaaaaah!!! Why didn't Cinder shove it to her mouth! That's mainly the part where I don't think Cinderella's part matched with Cinder's. I find it superficial. And the romance? Does it really have to be like that, instant? The prince liked Cinder because she's just easy to talk to? REALLY? I was expecting a bit more development because this is a book but againnnnnnnnnn, NOTHING. Haaaa. I feel so frustrated right about now.

*breathes in, breathes out*

Let us not forget I enjoyed a few things here. a) The monarchy. Of course, it wouldn't be a complete Cinderella retelling if there isn't a swoony prince just waiting to fall in love with her. b) The third person narration. Though I find that confusing at the beginning, I enjoyed following the story through different character's side of the story. c) The android system. Wow. I felt like Wall-e is there somewhere hiding. I loved how technology and paranormal mixed well in Cinder. d) The Lunar aliens. They are the unexpected surprise I guess because I wasn't *seriously* expecting them to happen. e) How Cinder's the best FEMALE mechanic. Kickass cyborg is a kickass cyborg. f) Iko. Kindness isn't limited to humans but even an android showed love and care towards Cinder. Even if it was just simply programmed to be a part of her personality, it only shows that love would bleed deep even into a piece of metal.

Cinder is absolutely an interesting read. It breathes unexpected twists in a story we all know too well. Surprisingly, old and new interconnects in unexpected way that brought enchantment to the fairytale I fell in love with. Scarlet, you better be good!

"Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth."

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of it either, even though it seems everyone else LOVED it. Good to know I'm not the only on who didn't love it. Interesting with a creative and unique take on the classic Cinderella tale, yes. A favourite, no.

    -- Sam @ SIK Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Cinder but I LOVED Scarlet.
    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...