Monday, November 10, 2014

REVIEW: KISS OF BROKEN GLASS BY MADELEINE KUDERICK.

Title: Kiss of Broken Glass
Author: Madeleine Kuderick
Edition: Paperback
Published: September 9, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 224
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction (Mental Illness)
Trailer: Not available.

Synopsis:

Madeleine Kuderick’s gripping debut is a darkly beautiful and lyrical novel in verse, perfect for fans of Sonya Sones and Laurie Halse Anderson. Kiss of Broken Glass pulses with emotion and lingers long after the last page.

In the next seventy-two hours, Kenna may lose everything—her friends, her freedom, and maybe even herself. One kiss of the blade was all it took to get her sent to the psych ward for seventy-two hours. There she will face her addiction to cutting, though the outcome is far from certain.

When fifteen-year-old Kenna is found cutting herself in the school bathroom, she is sent to a facility for mandatory psychiatric watch. There, Kenna meets other kids like her—her roommate, Donya, who’s there for her fifth time; the birdlike Skylar; and Jag, a boy cute enough to make her forget her problems . . . for a moment.
Kiss of Broken Glass is the first book I've read which is in "story in verse" format. I find it intriguing. I don't have any idea how the story would be told (would it be using huge words or would it be conversational English or would it rhyme?) but I was surprised by how easy the reading process was. I usually write thoughts this way and it wasn't complicated for me to connect to the character and the story because I felt the heart of it behind the simplicity. I liked it. I enjoyed it. I felt it.

This story is a sensitive one -- about self-harming, depression, mental illness, peer pressure -- and I believe it was perfectly executed. I know am an adult know but I went through most of these things when I was a teen. The book exposes what some teens go through in a way that would make people understand them and not make fun of them. Kiss of Broken Glass took a risk in this one, not all of us could grasp this but I loved how I was able to see it through Kenna's point of view. It was really scary but truly educating.

Kenna opened doors to how we as humans affect each other. Affirmation and appreciation from our parents strongly contribute to what and how we'll become while simple yet hurtful words can destroy an entire life, may we mean them or not. The story gave me emotions I've buried long time ago because some wounds don't heal easily. This story embraced me that I melted in to its shoulders. I felt like finally, someone heard and noticed my story.

Kiss of Broken Glass is a life reflected on paper. It catches the sad reality of what people go through and envisions positive ways for a better approach. Emotionally draining yet utterly enlightening, this story surely reaches the heart not only to sting it but make you feel alive.

Thank you so much HarperCollins International for the review copy!

"Silent sobbing. No one sees.
Weeping like the willow trees.
Feel my heart about to pop.
Need to make the aching stop.
See moon's shimmer softly pass.
On the shards of broken glass."

2 comments:

  1. See, I did enjoy it, and it was my first written in verse type as well, so I didn't know what to expect, but really enjoyed and exactly, it was pretty easy to follow along than I thought it would. I didn't like how it was a little light on the situation (especially the using-it-as-a-trend thing) and maybe I would've gotten it better if I'd been through that, which I haven't so I guess I couldn't connect to it that much. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I get that. That is why these kinds of "sensitive" are hit and miss kind of thing.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...