Thursday, January 15, 2015

REVIEW: BLACKBIRD BY ANNA CAREY.

Title: Blackbird
Series: Blackbird Duology #1
Author: Anna Carey
Edition: Paperback
Publication: HarperTeen / September 16, 2014
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Pages: 256
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia, Mystery
Trailer: Watch HERE.

Synopsis:

This twisty, breathless cat-and-mouse thrill ride, told in the second person, follows a girl with amnesia in present-day Los Angeles who is being pursued by mysterious and terrifying assailants.

A girl wakes up on the train tracks, a subway car barreling down on her. With only minutes to react, she hunches down and the train speeds over her. She doesn’t remember her name, where she is, or how she got there. She has a tattoo on the inside of her right wrist of a blackbird inside a box, letters and numbers printed just below: FNV02198. There is only one thing she knows for sure: people are trying to kill her.

On the run for her life, she tries to untangle who she is and what happened to the girl she used to be. Nothing and no one are what they appear to be. But the truth is more disturbing than she ever imagined.

The Maze Runner series meets Code Name Verity, Blackbird is relentless and action-packed, filled with surprising twists.
Maaaaaaaan. What is this really?

Anna Carey's The Eve Trilogy is one of those series that helped me get my reading groove going. Seriously. I loved it and will forever recommend it. So learning that Carey wrote a new one automatically made me put it on my Most Anticipated Titles list. But boy oh boy, I was utterly underwhelmed with Blackbird.

Well, the synopsis is pretty much it except for the part where is says "The Maze Runner series meets Code Name Verity, Blackbird is relentless and action-packed, filled with surprising twists." That is completely wrong. I mean, not even close.

In the story, the girl doesn't remember anything after waking up in a train station and up until the end, she still didn't figure out who she is. Not even her name. (!!!!!) She just keeps running away from people she thought want to kill her. Then she meets Ben in the grocery store and easily liked and trusted him. I mean, JUST. LIKE. THAT. Gaaaaah. She then tries to figure out who these bad people are but she got nothing. She didn't even get to know what her tattoo means. I mean, what the hell is this really? The plot didn't make sense to me. The characters are stupid ones. The story is so flat. Am so sorry Carey but this is blah.

What I hoped for was at least the girl learns something significant. I didn't have issues with the second person point of view because that's the only thing I liked about it, but come on! The plot was so promising but the execution absolutely failed. I seriously want brain bleach so I can erase this from my mind. Blackbird is one of the worst books I've read in my life.

Am really sorry but I felt like I just wasted time reading Blackbird. I don't know if I'll pick up the next one. Maybe I will, for closure.

Thank you HarperCollins International for the ARC!

""It's just...there are things that I've wanted to forget before. Shitty things, things that it would be easier if I didn't have to think about it. And there are people I wanted to forget. Maybe whatever happened before, how bad things were - maybe this is your chance."

"My chance to be someone else?"

"Yeah," he says. "To be who you want to be.""

2 comments:

  1. So I was reading the blurb and when I got to the part about her hunching down when the train comes barreling down, I was like "Whaaaaa?" That is so illogical and ridiculous that it isn't even funny.

    You know how in love I am with historical fiction and I've read Code Name Verity and from the looks of Blackbird's blurb, it doesn't even come close to Wein's wonderful book. CNV doesn't even feature amnesia! Or weird tattoos. I'm also not liking the main character's stupidity and too trusting vibe.

    Meh, I'll pass on this book. Thanks for the review, ate Kate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen The Maze Runner movie and the only thing similar between TMR and this is literally, the running. It was so wrong to blurb it like that. I mean, it was such a wrong marketing move. LOL

      I dunno. I don't wanna call it names but am about THIS close.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...