Sunday, December 13, 2015

A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE READS (01)

Hi, bookish peeps! Today I am happy to publish my new feature (well not really because this has been a constant post on other blogs) I called A Series of Unfortunate Reads. This is practically an old stuff but just new here on the blog but aside from that, there's nothing really interesting in this post. What I am sad about today though is that this feature will be about the books I did not finish. I need to make this one because my TBR is never-ending (old news) and I couldn't really afford to force myself to like reads I truly cannot. So here I am, contemplating about the books I can give another shot and the books I do not see myself re-reading. I have 16 today - the first batch.


EvernightFinaleFireWhite Cat








Reasons why I DNF-ed these books (and most probably the next DNFs):

1. SLOW PACING. Most of these I DNF-ed due to the pacing. You should know by now how I don't have the patience in reading utterly slow-paced stories. I feel like the story isn't moving at all or it will take literally forever to finish a book. It is absolutely easy for me to get bored as well.

2. HISTORICAL FICTIONS (SteamPunk, Thrillers and some High-Fantasy) ARE NEVER GONNA WORK FOR ME. I couldn't wrap any part of my brain on Historical Fiction books. It is just THAT hard for me to imagine it or to understand the puns and all that.

3. NO CHEMISTRY BETWEEN ME AND THE BOOK. Some I DNF-ed because of my disconnection to the characters/world building. Rain and Stormdancer were the hardest for me to read because even though I could easily picture Japanese Culture, the language is the issue. I know a few phrases but these books used a lot of Japanese references (obviously) I can't truly get in to. But I would re-read them.

4. INSTA-LOVE. It is okay for me if it is insta-romance but the story would be able to justify why it happened that fast. Just like Hoover's books, you would instantly hate how the romance department developed but as you go deeper in to the story, you'd get why. I just can't accept it ever that you fall head over heels in love with someone after meeting them twice?

5. BOOKS/STORIES WHICH PROMOTES SLUT-SHAMING, BULLYING, RAPE, RACISM ETC. NO WAY. NO WAY I AM GOING TO READ ONE. 99 DAYS IS A MISTAKE ACTUALLY. WHY DID I EVEN FINISH THAT

6. THE PROBLEM IS ME. When life gets in the way, you know, it is hard to finish a book and sometimes I pause for several days but then completely forgets about the book. Or there are instances where I get overwhelmed by the thickness of the book? Yeah, all on me, guys. This is on me.

I couldn't think of anything else. Will probably edit if I think of something else.

Sorry, authors. Sorry pubs. But this is bookish life and I need to learn to DNF. I love you all, though.

Thank you for all the review copies, publishers!



2 comments:

  1. Fantastic post Kate! I really wish I could DNF a book as easily and I am planning on working on it this coming new year. Hope to see you guys soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it took me a while to even gather the strength to DNF. Won't you be there on Sunday?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...