Friday, January 11, 2013

REVIEW: HEMLOCK BY KATHLEEN PEACOCK.

Title: Hemlock
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Series: Hemlock #1
Edition: Hardcover
Publication: May 8, 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Bought from Fully Booked
Pages: 416
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Urban Fantasy

Synopsis:
Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.
Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:
A white werewolf.
Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.
Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.
Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

*MIGHT BE SPOILERY*

Hemlock is devastatingly swoon-worthy.

When I went book shopping crazy a couple of months back, I didn't hesitate picking up Hemlock. It has been on my wish list for as long as I can remember that when I saw a copy, I grabbed it and didn't let go. I've heard nothing but great reviews about it and I wanted to know what people were really raving about. And here I am typing my gushing review seconds after finishing my copy.

Mackenzie couldn't really let go of her best friend. Amy was murdered by a werewolf in their small town, Hemlock. Jason can't stop blaming himself for letting Amy go out alone and Kyle, for not answering his phone when Amy was calling the night of the murder. Mackenzie is losing her friends and she has to do something about it. When the Trackers were called to investigate about Amy's murder, Mackenzie decides to investigate on her own only to be welcomed by angry wolves.

When I first saw the word "werewolf", I honestly had doubts. I began to feel afraid for it may turn out to be a disappointment. Paranormal premise such as vampire and werewolf tandems are known all over the Young Adult community and this might be just like what I've read in the past. But I was completely wrong and I should've not even felt that way. Hemlock is shocking. It was brewed using a very popular paranormal plot that only requires one small mistake to ruin a potential novel, yet Peacock perfected it. It is completely different from any other werewolf novels I've stumbled across with because Peacock knew how to mix old and new. The story is old but what actually transpired is so new that it wasn't just refreshing. She made it riveting.

While I was reading, I couldn't help but shriek, snort, flail or sigh. Hemlock definitely gave me a roller-coaster ride. I loved how Lupine Syndrome is made known to the public and that werewolves indeed exist. I loved how the characters surprised me. I also adored the romance department Hemlock presented. Love triangle isn't really my cup of tea but the romance here is different. It is really heart-warming and flattering.

Jason and Kyle are best friends since third grade but whatever major differences they now faced, nothing stops them from being there for each other. Kyle's decisiveness compliments Jason's stubbornness. And I was expecting that only three major characters would arise but you see, Amy is still a part of it which I find not only super creepy but brilliant. I had a little issue with Mac but the story is so good that I could no longer remember what that issue was.

Kathleen Peacock made a mark with her debut novel, Hemlock. It is such a wonderful read that I seriously cannot put down. The novel is paranormal slash mystery slash romance rolled into one. It is incredibly written and honestly, there are no dull moments in it! It is beautiful from inside-out that one would wish for book two right away. I would definitely read it again. Over and over and over again.

"You can't lose what you never had."

2 comments:

  1. I had a blast reading this! I'm not sure if you're famed liar but this book reminded me so much of Veronica Mars (TV show). Anyways, the ending was a major cliffhanger, eager to read book 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA too bad, I haven't watched that TV Show! But I loved Hemlock! Hihih

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...