Tuesday, April 2, 2013

REVIEW: REQUIEM BY LAUREN OLIVER.

Title: Requiem (Delirium #3)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Edition: Paperback (ARC)
Published: March 5, 2013
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 391
Source: Borrowed from Michelle Shouts Random
Category: Dystopia, Romance
Trailer: Not applicable.
Synopsis:

They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.
*SPOILERS ALERT*

I was lucky enough to have friends who received ARCs of Requiem. Delirium is one of the first series that pushed me back to reading and one of my favorites that's why my eagerness to read Requiem, being the final book, is just too strong. Thank you so much to Michelle over at Michelle Shouts Random for lending me her copy!

The final book deals with so much issues. Lena is finally an active member of The Resistance thus she's expected to work and look after the others. Hana has been cured and would have to deal with being the second wife of a soon-to-be-mayor. Julian as always, head over heels in love with Lena yet here comes Alex, her first. And Alex, not sure how to handle Lena, decides to ignore her.

Straight to the point feelings: I am disappointed with the last book. I never thought I would get bored with it and it pains me to think that it didn't hit the right expectation meter. Raving about Delirium and Pandemonium, I've always expected that the last book would even be better but unfortunately, I was left hanging. I felt like there's a book four coming up because of the unforeseen major cliffhanger ending. After being sad about how the story flowed, I had too many questions by the end of it. What will happen to Julian, to the Resistance, did they win, where will Hana go etcetera, etcetera. Why does it feel like nothing has been addressed here, like none has been really answered.

Lena in this novel is just too much. She basically highlighted how of a user she was. I pity Julian because I felt like Lena just grabbed the opportunity to forget Alex by playing with him and it is just so unfair. He deserves better. And how annoying Alex have been for easily forgiving Lena. He almost died just to let her escape and it took her how many months to get over him. I don't know. This isn't the way I really expected it to be but I have to live with it. One thing I liked most is Hana's point of view.

I think I would go ahead and re-read Requiem. I myself couldn't accept that this is just how my favorite series ended. I know there is more to it than this. There should be more. There could have been more.

VERDICT:
“And you can't love, not fully, unless you are loved in return.”

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same but as Lauren Oliver said, she ended the trilogy the way it is because she wants it to live with us. everyday. She wants us, her readers, to think of the possibilities, the what ifs. but I just wish there was an epilogue to Requiem.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...