Tuesday, June 18, 2013

REVIEW: FATHOMLESS BY JACKSON PEARCE.

Title: Fathomless
Author: Jackson Pearce
Edition: Paperback
Published: September 4, 2012
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 291
Source: Bought from National Book Store
Category: Romance, Fantasy
Trailer: not available.
Synopsis:

Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.

Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.

When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.
Fathomless is simply one of a kind novel.

I heard nothing but amazing things about Fathomless and I was so excited about it because it would be the first mermaid-inspired novel I'll read! Somewhere in my head, there's doubt because I have issues with retellings but still I gave it a shot. I don't know how to feel about it after though.

Being a part of triplets with special powers, Celia feels she's left out. While she and her sisters are out, she sees a musician in the park fall into the ocean. She hurries up and tries to see what happens to the guy then there's a naked lady already tries to swim the guy to the shore. When Celia touches the lady, she sees her past and knows she's different. Celia actually reminds the lady of her name she even can't remember: Naida.

When I hear the word mermaids, Ariel and Pirates of the Caribbean come to mind. As a kid, I had wished to become one and I even tried to swim with my feet positioned as a mermaid's tail. So reading a novel with such promising plot is something anyone can be thrilled about. I liked Pearce's concept of retellings though this is my first Pearce novel. The twists she came up with were all very compelling however I find it very off. Her attempt to make wolves be the creator of mermaids didn't actually work at all for me. No sparks for it or something. I actually find it ridiculous and it wasn't thoroughly explained in the novel either. As a whole, that idea wouldn't just sync in my head.

The characters are weak. I hated how Celia have all the best intentions in helping Naida to remember but then she keeps on lying. The reason why Jude fell in love with Celia was just horrible. And how about Naida/Lo's personality issues? It just made my head ache. She just couldn't stick to a decision. And Celia and Lo/Naida's friendship? Superficial.

I was strongly disappointed with the entire plotting of Fathomless. There is definitely a huge possibility of it being what Pearce intended it to be but I feel that  it wasn't just maximized to its full potential at all. It was really heart breaking to read your first mermaid novel and be this sad about it.

VERDICT:

"The only time you don't get a choice is if you're stuck watching the past. Sometimes you have to look away."

2 comments:

  1. When I was reading the synopsis I was getting super excited about this book...and then I read your review. I think I will probably pass on this one, wolves creating mermaids? No thanks. Plus, I have too many other books to read already. Thanks for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I was really disappointed with this book. Hope you'd still try it though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...