Friday, June 7, 2013

REVIEW: THE WARD (THE WARD #1) BY JORDANA FRANKEL.

Title: The Ward (The Ward #1)
Author: Jordana Frankel
Edition: Paperback
Published: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 465
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Category: Dystopia, Romance, Paranormal
Trailer: not available.
Synopsis:

Sixteen-year-old Ren is a daredevil mobile racer who will risk everything to survive in the Ward, what remains of a water-logged Manhattan. To save her sister, who is suffering from a deadly illness thought to be caused by years of pollution, Ren accepts a secret mission from the government: to search for a freshwater source in the Ward, with the hope of it leading to a cure.

However, she never expects that her search will lead to dangerous encounters with a passionate young scientist; a web of deceit and lies; and an earth-shattering mystery that’s lurking deep beneath the water’s rippling surface.

Jordana Frankel’s ambitious debut novel and the first in a two-book series, The Ward is arresting, cinematic, and thrilling—perfect for fans of Scott Westerfeld or Ann Aguirre.
The Ward is a very cinematic novel indeed.

Honestly, I never heard of this book until the publisher sent me an ARC by surprise. I immediate did my research and found myself mesmerized by how ambitious the plotting was. I didn't expect anything yet because I don't want to be disappoint yet here I am, struggling to cure this book hangover.

Ren is immune to the Blight, an illness caused by too much pollution. She don't have any idea why her blood is immune but she's living her life to mainly survive in the Ward. It is what's left of Manhattan after the Wash Out. She also takes care of her foster sister who is dying of Blight and to be able to buy her medicines, Ren accepts an offer from the Governor to find a location for a mysterious fountain of fresh water in exchange of a very good compensation. Little did she know, the search would change everything she believed in and encounters a possibility of love.

I've seen pictures of Manhattan and it has always been a dream to visit it one day. The world-building Frankel created is terrifically full of awesomeness and its very scenic. The dystopian world The Ward offers wouldn't just scare readers a little because who knows it might happen but also its something I have never read before. The vehicles they use for racing were logical and how intriguing the Blight was got me hooked. However, I found some points I didn't quite understand. I was waiting the entire time about how the Blight started and how long has it been since the Wash Out happened but I didn't find answers. Add another question for the fresh water. I guess I needed more. Also, I tagged this as paranormal because some of its aspects were, for me, belonged to the genre. I was a little hesitant at first because combining such strong genres might jeopardize a promising plot but The Ward absolutely nailed it! Surely, the entirety of this ambitious debut novel would surely stuck in my head for a very long time.

Ren is an extraordinary sixteen-year old. She's beyond strong and mature. I never have given it much thought until now but she is remarkably one of the best female protagonist there is. She only proved that age shouldn't matter at all when it comes to being the person you always wanted to be plus it also shouldn't be an issue when it comes to ginormous and heavy set of responsibilities. I admired how big her heart was. Derek on the other hand, made my head hurt. He's unpredictable and easily swayed by his emotions. I like his effect on Ren and I really want to see how their blossoming hate-love relationship eventually end. Oh and Callum. His intelligence is very sexy and I would also like to see much of him. Lastly, the racing team is very promising. They make me an adrenaline junkie!

I may have several questions about the novel but the impact of the plotting did a serious damage to my brain. This is definitely a refreshing kind of dystopian and up until now, my brain is still trying to analyze everything! Frankel provided an exciting and thrilling adventure in a world where water is gold and racers kick some butts!

Thank you so so much Sarah of HarperCollins for the ARC!

VERDICT:
"'Forget him', I tell myself, even though telling yourself to forget something is the quickest way to make sure you remember it."

8 comments:

  1. I've heard some mixed things about this book, but I still love the sound of this dystopian world! Great review and I'm happy you liked it :)

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to write this review honestly. I've some issues with it also but its was just that good read. :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen mixed reviews too, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sound like there were lots of elements to the story that made it an exciting read; super review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book too! Same as you, I was expecting for answers to the history of the Blight and on how the hell Ren got immune to it. The fountain of youth and its miraculous water was farfetch and unbelievable that, also, led me to categorize this book under the paranormal genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad you liked this!!
    I was just told by a friend that I should read it, but I hadnt actually seen a review on it, so Im glad you posted one!

    Also, feel free to stop by my blog to enter my $100 Blogoversary Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...