Sunday, June 9, 2013

REVIEW: MIND GAMES (MIND GAMES #1) BY KIERSTEN WHITE.

Title: Mind Games (Mind Games #1)
Author: Kiersten White
Edition: Hardbound
Published: February 19, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 237
Source: Bought from National Book Store
Category: Dystopia, Romance, Paranormal, Sci-Fi
Trailer: Here.
Synopsis:

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.
Mind Games is absolutely mind blasting!

I enjoyed reading Paranormalcy because off Evie's hilarious antics as well as the lightness of the story. So when I heard that White will publish another novel, I can't quite stop being excited about it. The cover is not only very jaw dropping but the synopsis is very much intriguing as well.

Fia and Annie are sisters with mind powers. Fia have the perfect instincts while Annie can see glimpses of the future. Their capabilities are being used by a school head in twisted ways. Being free from such dangerous world is all they ever wanted only they are torn because being free means either of them have to die.

This is totally a whole gear shift from Paranormalcy. The world White created here is very much mind-boggling and the title is just perfect. I enjoyed how much the alternating of narration brought intense fluster and how the plot deeply plays with the mind. The romance of it touches the main story just a little bit and it kept me going and hoping there would be more. But sometimes, less is more. No matter how cliche it is.

I am not sure though, maybe its just me, but the writing style is something I've encountered before. Only in this novel, the strike throughs are not present. But the word/thought repetition is definitely familiar. And with that, the comfortability I initially built with the novel started swaying.

I don't know how to feel about Annie. I know she is supposed to be the one who needs sympathy but my mind wouldn't process some of her reasons in life. She's sick and I cannot accept why she has to do things to ruin Fia. It wasn't explained either so I am hoping, there would be more on the sequel. Fia also is a little confusing whether she is going insane or she's just really difficult to adjust to. There were times in the book when I hated Fia. She was confined to the life she didn't ask for and I thought she was immature for not moving away. Her love for her sister and her need to protect her went beyond her. I just wish that she would use her perfect instincts and be free of all the anger. But I liked her. She's fierce, true and strong. I enjoyed how she's all crazy especially how she annoys people who can read her mind even though deep inside she's broken and damaged.

James and Adam. Two different men. Two different lives. Two different characters. But they kind of share the same affection for the same girl. I really have this love-hate relationship with James but he appeals to me more than Adam. And I cannot wait to see who would be worth the heart of the girl and what would be the major twists awaits them.

Mind Games is a dark, dangerous and mind-altering novel that I enjoyed a lot! Its a fast read and direct to the point! I love White double for creating such extraordinary novel that I surely would be thinking about for a while! Its just that brilliant!

VERDICT:
"I look at our hands again and I know my hand doesn't fit in his like it should. Someone else's will. Someone else whose hands aren't impossibly broken. Someone else whose soul isn't impossibly broken."

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the first positive review I've read so far. All the other reviews I've read are quite negative. I'm happy that you enjoyed it so much! I also liked Paranormalcy and I hope to read this one soon :)

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it. I was a little skeptical at first but am glad I enjoyed! You should try it too!

      Delete
  2. I started reading this but put it off for a while. I just can't seem to lose myself in the story. Glad you enjoyed it, though! Hope I can continue it soon. :)

    Kyle @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at first I was lost. But once I understood that the protagonist is completely broken, I started liking it. :) Hope you'd give it another try though!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...