Thursday, September 5, 2013

REVIEW: MY LIFE AFTER NOW BY JESSICA VERDI.

Title: My Life After Now
Author: Jessica Verdi
Edition: Finished Paperback Copy
Published: April, 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pages: 287
Source: Publisher
Category: Romance, Contemporary
Trailer: not available
Synopsis:

Lucy just had the worst week ever. Seriously, mega bad. And suddenly, it's all too much—she wants out. Out of her house, out of her head, out of her life. She wants to be a whole new Lucy. So she does something the old Lucy would never dream of.

And now her life will never be the same. Now, how will she be able to have a boyfriend? What will she tell her friends? How will she face her family?

Now her life is completely different...every moment is a gift. Because now she might not have many moments left.
*THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN A LITTLE BIT SPOILER*

My Life After Now is surely an eye-opener!

I cannot explain enough how much I was anticipating for this novel. The Bokeh/Sunlight effect on the cover is one MAJOR thing and then the mystery behind the synopsis. I feel like there's SO MUCH MORE to it than that. Its been receiving mixed reviews but still, I wanted to devour it so bad! So imagine how pumped I was when I received a copy of this in the mail!!! Thank you so much Abbie of Sourcebooks Fire for trusting me with this golden copy! I cannot thank you enough!

The story is about Lucy who had a very bad week in school and at home. She's a little rebellious and decided to go out clubbing with her friends using a fake ID. She was intoxicated and went out with Lee, a band member, and she didn't know what transpired that night. She woke up naked in his bed. She went to a doctor to have herself checked and BOOM - she's POSITIVE - not with his child but with HIV.

What deeply compelled me to love and be in love with Verdi's novel (ASIDE FROM THE ADORBS COVER) was the surprise take on the plot. Let me highlight -- a very sensitive plot. Initially I thought it was just a regular Contemporary Romance where the girl would always get the boy of her dreams but this one was exceptional. The first several chapters started so fast-paced and straight to the point then mellows down to tackle and develop the premise without compromising its essence. The originality of Verdi's story was so captivating and I couldn't help but be happy with everything in it. The novel was surely packed with relatability and I liked how much I caught this side of myself smirking and tearing at the same time. Browsing My Life After Now till 4 in the morning was the best thing I've done lately because this novel was really THAT good! The spinoff of Verdi's simple synopsis to a hypersensitive twists like gay parents, one night stands and STDs awestruck me ultimately because it all came together perfectly. Don't forget the fun theatre activities she incorporated in the novel! She made me miss acting. Verdi also presented Gay Community with kindness and so much respect that it doubled my love for it. The unlimited awareness My Life After Now exposed about these matters so norm in our generation completely tells a tale about compassion to others and to ones self. This is such an extraordinary book that left a mark in my heart and soul.

When it comes to the characters, I might have a little so-so feelings. I don't feel connected to Lucy in anyway. Actually, I don't like her character AT ALL. Stubborn, brat, irrational, rebellious and flirt. And Lisa? Oh God. What kind of a mother is she who couldn't even love her own child? I hate them both. What I do LOVE though are her gay parents Adam and Seth. They are perfect parents -- passionate, caring, understanding, supportive and welcoming. I love Evan for being broad-minded and for showing that sincere feelings exist. I love Max and Courtney for their friendship that sticks through thick and thin, Roxie for the carefree attitude and Elyse for her snarky attitude just when the situation calls for it. I love how their different characters made this novel such an amazing mix of drama, cuteness, heart and sexiness.

My Life After Now did prove that it deserves to be on my Most Anticipated Novels for the Year. It has a unique and inspiring voice that pinched my heart too many times. A revolutionary take on self-respect, browsing through every page was highly addictive and riveting! Highly recommended novel to all! Note, you might shed a bucket of tears while reading!

Thank you ever so much Abbie of Sourcebooks Fire for the review copy!

"I couldn't think. I couldn't cry, Positive."

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I really loved this book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope our library picks this up. I love lit tic like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an amazing book! I can't wait to find it and add it to my ever-growing pile of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAH well, its really a good read so please go and check it out! I really recommend it and I hope you love it as much as I did! :DD

      Thanks, Laureen!

      Delete
  4. The title sounded so good. I'm also the girl who goes for the contemporary read that the girl gets the guy of her dreams. Maybe I'll also change. :)

    Cindy @ In This World of Books..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...