Monday, September 16, 2013

REVIEW: RUSH BY EVE SILVER.

Title: Rush (The Game #1)
Author: Eve Silver
Edition: Paperback
Published: June 11, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 361
Source: ARC borrowed from Dani of Book Whales
Category: Dystopia, Time Travel, Romance
Trailer: Here.
Synopsis:

So what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?

When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.
Rush is full of adrenaline.. rush!

I've been meaning to read this for a while now and thanks a lot to Dani of Book Whales for lending me her ARC! Finally, I've read something quite "fresh" and it was such a good read!

Miki is pulled into a different dimension just at the moment she saves a child from being crushed by a truck. She's supposed to play this game where she has to maintain her "green" con in order to survive and finish a mission involving mercury-eyed aliens. She's quite surprised to learn that there's an alien invasion happening and also, why she's pulled. She has to rely on her team mates to answer all her questions especially to Jackson, the one who acts the leader who also happens to be an a-hole.

What I did not like:
- I think the consistency of the story narration is quite confusing. It tends to jump from sub-genre to another sub-genre. There are moments when I feel so engrossed with the alien invasion adventure then all of a sudden, I would ask myself, is this contemporary am reading or what?
- Being that said, the first few chapters of Rush lead me to believe the promise of the blurbs. As I've said, the alien invasion adventure is THAT really strong and it is something I focused on at first. But as I go along, especially the middle part, it kind of turned to a Contemporary genre. The characters aren't being pulled for a couple of weeks at that point, so the story basically revolved only on romance. Imagine it, from having such an intense start, it mellows down in the middle to focus on romance. Didn't quite work for me.
- Just like Miki, I have a ton of questions about the Draus. Most of them are actually answered and explained but the others? Still left as questions.
- Also, I tagged this under YA Time travel because of the "pulling". However, the part where Richelle was pulled but from 7 months back actually didn't register. How?
- I don't buy the alien-genes being passed on. Maybe because there was nothing to support that in the novel.
- And Carly. Actually, her whole existence didn't weigh anything at all in the novel. And she's the rude one?

What I did like:
- This is my first "Alien" plotted novel and I was so happy I liked it!
- The entire premise is such new to me! It is very unique and refreshing!
- I liked how they are being "pulled" and thrown to another dimension!
- The romance part was a little insta BUT you know, THAT intense love-triangle?? I LOVE!
- I also liked how Miki reacted. I mean, I would have reacted the same way if all of a sudden I was pulled like that. It is the normal way to react.
- Her questions were also the right questions. I liked this because she didn't stop asking. Unlike with other characters I've stumbled upon in the past, some would just accept the situation with even trying to clarify things. Kudos, Miki!
- The ending. I liked how it ended. I know it is a complete absurd cliffhanger but its the kind of cliffhanger that ended at the right moment? Make sense? HAHA
- The video game inspiration. That was really thrilling! I want more!
- Jackson Tate's mysterious personality and hot body! BAHAHA

All in all, I really enjoyed Rush! I might have a of questions but the gist of it was really unique, thrilling, dangerous and action-packed! I really cannot wait for PUSH!!

Thank you Dani of Book Whales for lending her ARC!

"Still, her rejection is like a knife in my back. Just because she pulled the knife out doesn't mean the wound isn't aching."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...