Sunday, September 22, 2013

REVIEW: THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR BY MINDEE ARNETT.

Title: The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy #1)
Author: Mindee Arnett
Edition: eARC
Published: March 5, 2013
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pages: 367
Source: Net Galley
Category: Romance, Fantasy
Trailer: not applicable.
Synopsis:

Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.
The Nightmare Affair is definitely witty!

Woah. Finally. After requesting this from Netgalley gazillion years ago, I found my eARC and finished reading it! I was using the ereader on my laptop at the time I requested this and took me so long to transfer it over to my phone. I thought it expired! Whew! Its always better late than never!

Dusty is a dream feeder. When she tries to feed on Eli's dream, she's shocked to witness almost like a vision. She isn't prepared at all when Eli sees her and her powers bounced off him which is very unusual. After the incident, her school's principal called her the she overheard about a murder. Little did she know that the vision she saw in the dream is the murder that just happened. And she has just been informed that she's a Seer that needs to work with Eli as a team. They have to figure out who is the killer but she's kept in the dark, she doesn't know why she has to be involved at all.

The Nightmare Affair is one of my Most Anticipated Novels for the year. When I got the eARC, I was stoked and too excited I completely forgot it! LOL! But seriously, I loved how hilarious this book is. There are not dull moments in it. The prose was all in all funny and very relatable. I loved how Arnett expounded how dream-walking works and the fact that it is about DREAMS just made it magical. The dream feeding/walking was backed up completely that one wouldn't ask why or what. The premise however, seemed too familiar to me. Like Harry Potter slash Hex Hall? I can't help but see glimpses of these worlds to what's presented in this novel and even though the familiarity is a little bit uncomfortable, I still loved it! Arnett wrote a story that definitely stands out. I loved how she incorporated my favorite subject to it. I wanted to re-learn everything about Merlin and King Arthur but the story lacked at that part, I think. I wish there's more to it.

I also feel like the story should have happened outside the campus. I mean, they could have travelled to Britain or something instead of making everything happen in one place. I believe it would make the story much interesting. Not that am a professional writer to judge this by setting it in one place but as a reader, it would help the imagination wander. If you know what I mean. But I will have to commend the love department for blossoming just at the right time. It didn't push it at the very beginning like what typical paranormal novels I've encountered. It is always a PLUS when the romance was given enough time to develop instead of insta. It ALWAYS ruins the fun. I loved the fact that each character initially had relationships at first then eventually realized how much they were attached to each other! I cannot wait for The Nightmare Dilemma to know how the romance goes!

Speaking of the characters, I loved Dusty and her snarky come backs plus her friendship with Selene. Their personalities jammed well! Selene is the rational one who keeps Dusty grounded while Dusty keeps Selene appreciate her kind. Also, I swear I swooned over Eli! OMG He's really hot plus good looking! Though I wish there was more to his involvement as an ordinary! Paul's character was just too predictable and I don't really buy the part where a thousand year old antagonist would be THAT easily obliterated. I mean, I just don't buy that part at all. Dusty didn't even practice that move/spell! And no matter how unconventional her relationship with her mother, she shouldn't judge her like that.

The Nightmare Affair is such mystical and hilarious novel! The prose is too enjoyable partnered with snarky and hot characters that ensures massive blushing and fan girling! I recommend this novel Hex Hall and Harry Potter fans!

"Just because someone has the power to do something doesn't mean they will. Sometimes people choose to be good even when they don't have to."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...