Thursday, September 26, 2013

REVIEW: WATERFELL (THE AQUARATHI #1) BY AMALIE HOWARD.

Title: Waterfell (The Aquarathi #1)
Author: Amalie Howard
Edition: eARC
Published: October 29, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 360
Source: Net Galley
Category: Romance, Paranormal
Trailer: not applicable.
Synopsis:

THE GIRL WHO WOULD BE QUEEN

Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright—the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon—until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday—the day she comes of age.

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa's mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her?
Waterfell is pretty much a cool novel.

When I saw Waterfell's cover, I was honestly mesmerized with it. I liked how the strips of image came together perfectly. Then I learned that it's another sea creatures novel, I knew I just have to request for it. Thankful to Harlequin for granting my Netgalley request, I immediately started reading it and I must say, I enjoyed my second mermaid book. I mean, it was okay.

Nerissa is a Royal Aquarathi who lives as a regular human attending high school. Her father before he was murdered informed her to never go back to Waterfell. But the sea is taunting her to come home. She learns that an evil sea creature is trying to rule her people but still too half-hearted to come back. Until she learns that her mother is still alive.

What disappointed me in this novel is that 70% of it is entirely BICKERING. Yes, you read that right -- BICKERING. The main characters just bickered non-stop even at the slightest moments. I can actually picture them like that and it isn't a very pleasant view. I hate that some of them are very physical and that there's almost no respect for each other. Seriously, I almost did NOT finish this just because of that. If it weren't for the mystery behind Waterfell and the Aquarathis, I would stop reading this at once. I tried my best to keep up with all those "shouting" and I'm lucky I surpassed it. It was a little dragging at first. I like and enjoy anything "mermaid" related because it is magical and hair-raising topic. I was actually elated when there were good parts of the book that focused on the back ground of the Aquarathis and how they really look like. This story is actually very promising novel but I feel like it fell short on character development. This time though, world-building wouldn't make up for that insufficiency.

Can I just let this out? Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I met the most agonizing, pathetic, SELFISH and annoying character that kicked Lena from Beautiful Creatures off her throne. Let me introduce you guys to Nerissa. The only Heir to the Aquarathi Throne. Her character mainly threw the novel out of the window. She's everything I hated about a character -- childish, SELFISH, indifferent, SELFISH, arrogant, SELFISH, full of pride, SELFISH, judgmental, SELFISH and she's OMG physical! She actually slapped her best friend/protector - TWICE! I don't know about you guys, but I honestly don't think she would be a good Aquarathi Queen someday! Her attitude sucks big time! AND GOODNESS TO GRACIOUS, HOW CAN YOU "BOND" (like sex) WITH SOMEONE YOU HATED SO MUCH? She did hate Lo to the fullest of her existence! OMG. I couldn't believe how their romance started and am not a fan at all. Lo may seem full of himself but I don't think he deserves such loathing from Nerissa. I actually liked his predictable character over Speio's. Speio is Nerissa's best friend/protector who is also an Aquarathi. He's in love with her the he shows his feelings by being pushy and annoying. He's like a girl who gets even! He's just impossible to be with, to tell you the truth. BUT!!! I totally adored Jess!! She's the ultimate bestest friend ever and I loved that the antagonists are HOT! (You have to read it I guess, because it would too spoilery if I say it!)

Waterfell is a unique take on sea creatures. It may sound like a mermaid story but there are striking differences which totally hooked me. I think Waterfell better suited book 2 as a title though. But all in all, it is enjoyable and surely, you would get carried away by the waves of the fantastic sea story and would drown by its intriguing mystery!

Thank you so much Net Galley and Harlequin Teen for the eARC!

"How do you explain to someone you've given every part of yourself to that you're going away and never coming back? How do you break someone's heart when yours is already shattered? How do you say goodbye when all you want to do is the opposite?"

4 comments:

  1. This book does sounds pretty interesting, even though I'm not entirely sure I'll like it. The plot's idea sounds cool but - 70% of it were BICKERING?!!? OMG, that's sounds so weird. And Nerissa sounds AWFUL, and this means it might be terribly annoying to read about her, or very funny.. depends how the book is written. I guess I'll find out only if I'll read it. ><

    Great review!!! Thanks for sharing :):)

    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it is interesting its just that some parts were annoying! HAHA so you may wanna try to read it and then let me know what you think! I liked the Aquarathi idea though!

      Delete
  2. Hala! Kumuha tayo ng lambat at hulihin natin si Nerissa! Ihawin natin sa baybay dagat! ROFL

    Mermaid books is a sub genre I can't get into! I just can't empathize/sympathize and connect with the whole world and the characters. I do love bickering in my books but from your comments, I think that the author overdid it.

    Let's go fishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHHAHA Let's!!

      Maybe its Ariel (lil mermaid) that influenced my love for sea creatures! Yeah, there's just too much shouting and arguing!

      LEZZGO!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...