Monday, March 3, 2014

REVIEW: OBSIDIAN BY JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT

Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Edition: Paperback
Published: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 335
Source: Bought from Fullybooked Fort
Category: Romance, Paranormal
Trailer:not applicable.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and NobleFullybooked

Synopsis:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
Obsidian gave me a roller coaster ride!

Jennifer L. Armentrout's books were recommended to me by my pretty Lady friend, Louisse. She loved all JLA's books and couldn't stop fangirling about them. So a few months back, I bought JLA's Covenant and Lux series. I trust Louisse's taste and so far, I have never been disappointed.

Moving out of her comfort zone after her father died, Katy is devastated. She left her friends and her own little world to start a new life with her mother. She is busy book blogging and feels so much at home with her books but her mother is pressuring her to go out and make some friends. Her mother actually spotted a hottie next door and suggested Katy to be friends with him. Katy tries to talk to the guy but she's stunned by Daemon's inhuman hotness and coldness towards her. She hated him but she is also intrigued. Dee, Daemon's sister, tries to be her friend but Daemon's preventing them to be close. He came too strong for her but deep inside, she wants to be close to him too. Until the moment Dee instructed Daemon to be nice to Katy to earn bonus points so he does try to ask her out. Everything changes when he saves her from being attacked by a bear and crushed by a truck. She knew then that he is NOT human. And he isn't. And the love and hate relationship between the two of them started. Because Katy is hating and loving an alien.

JLA's books are a bit pricey especially here in our country but as soon as I FELT Obsidian's cover, (it felt nice, its got this weird texture and shimmer) I knew it was something worth the price and a story I would enjoy. The cover design isn't too attractive but the power of social media's influence really works. If it wasn't for the hundreds or even thousands of fans going gaga over this series, I wouldn't have picked it up. So thank you social media for making me a fan of this ridiculously HOT series. And good thing am a little bit familiar with JLA's writing style because of her Covenant series which I totally adore so looking forward to finally reading this made me giggle -- because her writing style rocks!

I also have this love/hate relationship with Obsidian. It might just be me but honestly, I felt like I've read this before. Am not a hundred percent sure if this is a fan fiction but it sounds like Twilight. I've tried so hard NOT to compare but the scenes and how the novel progress really are familiar to me. I can't blame myself because of the fact that I have read Twilight over 50 times and seen the movie over 25 times so I know when something is similar to it. That alone dropped a star on my rating. However, the way Jennifer L. Armentrout wrote this story KILLED IT! There were moments I wanted to stab this book with a machete and there were times I just wanted to pull the characters out and hug them. The frustration and enjoyment this book brought were just absolutely crazy. And I couldn't stress that enough.

Okay. Honestly? Katy frustrated me. SO MUCH. Like how she's easily weakened by merely looking at Daemon! I find that extremely ridiculous. She's so stubborn that thankfully, she's being one at the right place and time. But I don't really want to talk about Katy. Let us talk about DAEMON BLACK. Oh Daemon Black. Daeeeemon Blacckkkkkk. HE'S A ALIEN GOD. OMG. He's so hot and good looking and bad ass and.. romantic! My kind of guy. I totally adored the way he teases and pushes Katy away to protect his sister and I totally shrieked when he started to show up at Katy's door. Like, he's so sweet and bad altogether! His effort in winning and pushing her away won my heart over and over again that I fell in love with him in the process. BECAUSE I WANT A GUY LIKE THAT. HAHA! And his eyes? OMG! It says everything and it melts my soul!

Obsidian is not just a pretty cover, it is a beauty inside out. This paranormal story targets the right places using the right emotions all at the right time. It is as if I am back in high school and remembering the first time I fell in love. I loved this story. I LOVE DAEMON! Truly, this book is worth every single penny I spent and I cannot wait to devour the entire series in the next couple of weeks! Amazing, heart-wrenching, ovary-exploding and soul-melting paranormal kickass story that I would add to my favorites list!

"I was reluctant to leave, not because the water would be cold, but because I knew -- I knew -- that this little piece of the world we created, where we weren't arguing or hating one another, WOULDN'T LAST."
"I stared at him, bewildered by the fact that he'd put everything in line and seemed to have no idea why. That was crazy to me. Absurd. Admittedly, it was unnerving, because it could mean many things.

Things I didn't care acknowledge."
"[His] stare was so concentrated I took an unintentional step back but we didn't break eye contact. A craving unfurled deep in my stomach, shooting through me like heated lightning and that -- that was the kind of feeling you couldn't force, couldn't even replicate if you wanted."
"He lifted his head, startled. And I was just as surprised. Our mouths were nearly touching. His breath was warm and sweet. Intoxicating. His gaze dropped to my lips and my heart started doing all kinds of crazy stuff in my chest."
"He was a complete mystery to me. Every action was in contradiction of another action. I could feel his eyes on me and it was hard to ignore that. Just as hard as it was to ignore whatever it was between us."

2 comments:

  1. Yaaay! I am so glad that you enjoyed Obsidian, Kate! <3 I'm going to be honest and say it took me long to read this one, mostly because Daemon was a hard character to love but he grows on you... a lot. (My mom loves him too... #Awkward) It's great how JLA manages to make you fall in love with an alien when most of the time, they give off LGM (Little Green Men) vibes. LOL If you think Obsidian was good, the series gets WAY better and hey, the last book comes out this year too. Whoot, whoot. :D (This is turning out to be a random comment...) Oh and the Lux series is getting a makeover so goodbye old covers! Haha! Great review, Kate! <3

    PS: Thanks for trusting my judgement even though there was this one time where I recc'd you a book and you didn't like it... :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. are you serious with the covers?? Oh goodness, good things I hoarded the series!!

      Thank you Lady for always recommending awesome books and yes, I remember THAT one.. no worries, it was just me who didn't like it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...