Friday, February 27, 2015

DNF REVIEW: NEVER JUST FRIENDS BY MINA ESGUERRA.

Title: Never Just Friends
Series: Standalone
Author: Mina V. Esguerra
Edition: Paperback
Publication: Anvil Publishing / 2015
Source: Finished copy provided by the publisher
Pages: 134
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Trailer: Not available.

Synopsis:

It's too easy to fall in love with Jake. Don't do it.

Lindsay and Jake have loved each other (as friends) since their senior year in college, and she made sure they didn’t become more than that. The guy now known as Jacob Berkeley, star of a wildly successful TV show, was always too much for her. Too handsome, too many questionable hookups, too restless. Also sensitive, fun, and genuinely caring. She's his emergency contact, his "zombie apocalypse buddy," his holiday dinner companion.

They've kept up this low-maintenance friendship for years, surviving graduation, their new careers, her move to New York City to work as an environment consultant. But then, days before a big climate change conference, he shows up, with big news. Jake wants to pick up what he never managed to finish in college. He wants to save forests again, work in environmental research - and he wants her.

Don't fall in love with Jake...Why again?
Well, let's see how this will go.

This is my first ever DNF review. I tried so hard to finish reading it thinking this is just a hundred and thirty four pages long but I failed miserably. I picked it up over four times trying to get myself immersed in the story but nothing -- I got nothing. I have a strict policy that I won't DNF much less review one but I guess there's always an exemption to the rule. I tried, I promise. I tried and tried and tried until finally, I just gave up. (I technically finished it but I skimmed hard core so I don't think it would count. You know what I mean.)

Am just going to make this very quick, alright? So here are the reasons why I DNFed this one:

1. There was something about the writing style that I find absolutely weird.
2. The attempt in humor just...flailed.
3. Female main character was initially mad at the Male MC for not contacting her for a year and then when he came back, she immediately gave herself to him. She should have at least let him make it up or something but no, she just did it with him right away.
4. Male MC was always a jerk.
5. Male MC just wanted to have sex, all the time, anywhere.
6. The plot would have been interesting enough (campaign for saving the environment or something) but it didn't make sense at all. It felt so pretentious to me.
7. It was so confusing who was the narrator.
8. I couldn't relate to anything - Female MC, Male MC, the plot -- AAAAH NOTHING!
9. There were a ton of unnecessary self-monologue-ing that makes the story all jumbled up.
10. Did I say something about the plot not really making sense to me? I mean, what was it about really?

There you have it. I've seen mixed reviews on Goodreads, I don't want to be the ONLY black sheep. I just simple can't lie to myself, I would never have enjoyed this even if I read it thoroughly.

Never Just Friends didn't make it to my favorite reads list. The experience was weird, stiff and a little off that recommending this would be hard.

Sorry. I tried.

Thank you Anvil Publishing for sending a finished review copy!

ZERO STARS - DID NOT FINISH
No quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...