Sunday, August 19, 2012

REVIEW: DIE FOR ME BY AMY PLUM.

Title: Die For Me
Author: Amy Plum
Series: Revenants #1
Edition: Hard cover
Publication: May 10th 2011 by HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Pages: 341
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Urban Fantasy

Synopsis:

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

If you have been following me on Twitter, you would know how long I have searched for a copy of this one. After I've read its summary on Good Reads, I instantly knew that it would not disappoint me. I roamed several bookstore in different malls within the metro and some friends even tried to find one for me in nearby provinces. It took almost half a year before I was able to score one hard bound copy. I nearly gave up on finding it but now am glad I didn't.

Kate and her sister Georgia lost their parents in a horrible car crash that they were forced to move to France to live with their grandparents. Georgia used clubbing as an escape while Kate took it worse. She was drowning herself with books most of the time but when her grandparents started worrying about her, she tried going out and continue to read in cafes around. She was starting to pull herself together when she saw Vincent, a very handsome teen with a mysterious aura and magnetic eyes that later she saw on a obituary in 1968.

Aside from its captivating cover and summary, one of the few things this made me drool over it was where the story took place -- PARIS. Finally, just something outside USA! I am obsessed with Eiffel Tower and a lot of beautiful things from there that I always see on Tumblr and this book fed me so much more. From the romantic scenes to the breathtaking museums, every description of each place made me feel I was personally there. Now onto the story. For sure this review would not make justice to how good the story is but nonetheless, I would express it diligently. Kate made me adore her. Not because she almost had a breakdown somewhere along the story or she developed from depressed-girl to such a brave sixteen-year old but the natural way of how she rationalizes adversaries. At first I thought she would easily be swept by the strong feelings she had for Vincent but still she tried to do what's best for her or should I say, she did what a person's supposed to do in such given situation. It tore her apart to such extent that readers would definitely feel the pain pouring out of the pages and still stood by her decision. Honestly, that's one trait I seldom see on protagonists these days.

Vincent on the other hand, was a true Romeo. He's romantic, full of surprises, loving and gentleman. He didn't take advantage of Kate when there was an opportunity and he politely mingled with Kate's family. He explained what he was in a manner that Kate would understand and gave her the chance to decide about it. The way he let himself torment over Kate's choice to live a normal life was just truly heartbreaking. And lastly, the love letter he wrote was the next best thing he did after his gift for Kate's birthday!

Revenants was definitely something fresh for me and I totally loved the idea. Just like Kate, I felt sick to my stomach thinking of someone dying over and over again to save somebody else's life. It is heroic but still, I wouldn't be able to stand it. I also loved the fact that it did not completely focus on the romance aspect but showcased history, family values and a whole new place where some of us do not go to everyday. The only little glitch I saw was when Lucien tried scaring/blackmailing Kate that she could've texted Vincent's kindreds to come help her. All in all, I wish I could give one thousand stars to this one but I could only give a perfect five. Now I just have to ask my brother to get me Until I Die as a birthday gift (in advance).

One last thing, move over Twilight. Die for Me will be sitting on the pedestal now!

"I can't promise you an ordinary experience, Kate. I wish I could transform myself into a normal man and be there for you, always, without the trauma that defines my life as "the walking dead." Since that isn't possible, I can only reassure you that I will do everything in my power to make it up to you. To give you more than a normal boyfriend could. I have no idea what that will mean, exactly, but I'm looking forward to finding out. With you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...