Thursday, August 2, 2012

REVIEW: SHATTER ME BY TAHEREH MAFI.

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #1
Edition: Paperback (Old Cover)
Publication: November 15, 2012 by HarperTeen
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 338 pages
Genre: Dystopia, Romance, Paranormal, Fantasy

Synopsis:

"You can't touch me," I whisper.
I'm lying, is what I don't tell him.
He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him.
But things happen when people touch me.
Strange things.
Bad things.
No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon.
But Juliette has plans of her own.
After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever..

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

I remember I've tried reading this book several weeks back but put it down to give way to Alyson Noel's books (for the signing). I so much regret not reading it after I've purchased it because I never thought I would be swayed by a book this much! The way Tahereh Mafi wrote it was just brilliant that I got blinded by millions of diamonds pouring down from the ceiling!

The story is simple yet extraordinary: Juliette has been locked up for 264 days because she is accused of killing a little boy. Everyone thinks she's a monster with the fact that everything she touches dies, including the little boy. She's able to fend for herself while she's locked up. Viewing the nature outside her window and writing on her notebook held her sanity. She always yearns for loved ones touch but she knows its impossible unless she intends to harm them until Adam showed up on her cell and touched her.

I never thought that there would be a different but compelling way to describe how one feels like the author did. The description Mafi used contains the precise feelings leaving some humor behind. The author's personality I think showed a lot on each page. Juliette and Adam are not only perfect for each other but they define friendship and love intensely on a different level. Add the fact their childhood story is something everyone could relate to. I loved how Juliette took the opportunity to hurt Warner, to trust Kenji, to care for James and to be brave for Adam. Though Warner is just another corrupt yet gorgeous character, the existence of the The Reestablishment made perfect sense because of him, so witty, evil and psycho! On the other hand, Adam is the perfect knight in shining armor. He shows that though he loves Juliette so much, there's James that he has to protect, too!

Sigh. I know I wouldn't give justice to the book no matter how hard I try. I hope that Unravel Me would be released soon because I couldn't get enough of this! It's a dark and cruel world but you would still want to be in it, be compelled with its strong pull. Thank you Tahereh Mafi. My heart beats rainbows!

"I spent my life folded between the pages of books. In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...