Thursday, February 7, 2013

REVIEW: BEAUTIFUL CHAOS BY STOHL AND GARCIA.

Title: Beautiful Chaos (Caster Chronicles #3)
Authors: Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia
Edition: Paperback
Published: October 18, 2011
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Pages: 516
Source: Bought from Powerbooks
Category: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Trailer: not applicable
Synopsis:

Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena's Claiming. Even Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals is affected - and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What — or who — will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?

For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena - and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself — forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask.

Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending.
*CONTAINS SPOILERS.*

Beautiful Chaos is really chaotic.

After swooning over Beautiful Darkness, the itch in my hands wouldn't go away no matter how much I scratch them. My hands wanted to get Beautiful Chaos out from the shelf so I could start reading it, but I just have to wait for its reading schedule to arrive. So while waiting, I just kept washing my hands.

Beautiful Chaos took off after Lena's seventeenth moon. Gaitlin has been plagued with drought and pestilence that most people think of it as the sign of End Days. Little did they know, the Order of Things has been ripped after Lena Claimed herself. Even the Casters are having problems controlling their powers and in order to restore the Order, a Crubicle or The One Who is Two must sacrifice a life. The only problem is, no one knows who is it or where to find it and they are running out of time.

I was so happy that I loved Beautiful Darkness. Its ending seriously gave me enough answers I once was trying to find after reading Beautiful Creatures. The first half of it completely bored me but the second half killed it altogether. I was surprised how much I loved it and it gave me a new sense of hope for Beautiful Chaos, only to be disappointed once more.

As I always say, this series has its potential. But once again, coming from a guy's point of view, there were just way too many unnecessary things that have been explained. I believe the novel might have been a little shorter if not for those unimportant sub-plots. I have never met a guy who talks so much like Ethan. I love Ethan, don't get me wrong. But I feel like there's a thin line between being observant and talkative, or probably sensible.

I didn't get much from Beautiful Chaos' plot. Up until the very last page, I was wondering what was the gist of it. It says there that Ethan's soul has been torn into two after Lena's claiming but why wasn't it mentioned in Beautiful Darkness? Why did he become forgetful? Why does he feel drained and hurt when he's touching Lena? Who is John Breed, really? How many moons do we have to wait for just for something to actually happen? Those are some of the questions never answered in this novel and mind you, it is five hundred and sixteen pages! I also couldn't actually fathom how one can still attend a high school party when the world you live in is at the brink of rapture. The entirety of the novel seemed to showcase only the character's progress or current standing. It made me feel that it was mainly for the characters and the plotting came in second.

I am giving it two stars because I still appreciate the originality of the novel and the potential in it. I just wish that Ethan would be more mature and stop explaining how a cabinet looks like or what is the design of a curtain when those aren't connected to the story at all.

VERDICT:
"Maybe it needed to be broken. Sometimes things have to break before you can fix them."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...