Sunday, February 10, 2013

REVIEW: DARKNESS BEFORE DAWN BY JA LONDON.

Title: Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn #1)
Author: J.A. London
Edition: Paperback
Published: May 29, 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 342
Source: Bought from Fully Booked
Category: Paranormal, Romance
Trailer: Not Applicable.
Synopsis:

Only sunlight can save us.

We built the wall to keep them out, to keep us safe. But it also makes us prisoners, trapped in what's left of our ravaged city, fearing nightfall.

After the death of my parents, it's up to me--as the newest delegate for humanity--to bargain with our vampire overlord. I thought I was ready. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the monsters. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for Lord Valentine... or his son. Maybe not all vampires are killers. Maybe it's safe to let one in.

Only one thing is certain: Even the wall is not enough. A war is coming and we cannot hide forever.
Darkness Before Dawn is shocking.

Honestly, who wouldn't be captivated with its intriguing plot and mysterious yet gorgeous cover? I've been wanting to read this for so long and as soon as I saw an available paperback copy locally, you just couldn't imagine how I flailed.

Dawn is chosen as Denver's delegate after her parent's death. She knows she's young and might not be able to deliver tasks she's supposed to do but nobody can say no to Lord Valentine. He's the oldest, strongest and most powerful vampire she've known. But she cannot deny the fear and anger in her chest towards their kind. Vampires killed her family and there is no way she would bow to Lord Valentine. She has to play her cards well. When everything seems to be alright, she and her best friend Tegan goes to a party, a vampire attack happens next. They are then saved by this mysterious man. She has to know who he really is.

It may just be me, but I see a little dystopian setting in there. I loved the combination of modern tech and a little Victorian era. The darkness of the world and the eeriness of the Victorian setting are very much suitable for any vampire plots and it gave the novel a quirky twist. And I wanted more of it. I wanted more of Denver, Los Angeles and Night Train.

The vampire approach London tried didn't disappoint. Just like angel-demon inspired novels known all over YA community, vampire-plotted ones are common. London's attempt in making vampire's existence known to humans is very fresh and something I've never read before. It makes it endearing and one would actually try to figure out how humans and vampires work together. However though, there are some instances that sound familiar to me and made feel uncertain. There were scenes that gave me blasts of emotions and all of a sudden would make me feel bland. As I go deeper, my grasp on to the novel loosens because of predictable twists and some similarities of the character's motives to my previous reads.

Dawn being the female protagonist annoyed me a little. I didn't like the way she handled her relationships and how easily she's swayed by flowery words. But I loved Victor. He's intentions he could definitely prove clean and he's honestly one of the gorgeous male characters I've read.

Darkness Before Dawn is another easy read. The darkness it exudes matches not only the characters but the world it revolves to. I want to see what happens next to Victor and Dawn and I am hoping that the sequel would be better, if I may say.

VERDICT:
 "If you want something, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to get it."

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed this book (:
    I liked that it has an original take on the vampire subject. It's kinda rare these days...

    Great review!!
    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is intriguing to read about a world where humans know that vampires exist! Glad you enjoyed Darkness Before Dawn. :D

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...