Monday, February 25, 2013

REVIEW: BREAKING WAVES BY DANIELLE SIBARIUM.

Title: Breaking Waves (Heart Waves #2)
Author: Danielle Sibarium
Edition: Paperback
Published: January 10, 2013
Publisher: KFR Communications
Pages: 197
Source: Copy provided by the Author
Category: Romance
Trailer: Not Applicable
Synopsis:

From the moment they met, Jenna knew Reece would break her heart, but she never dreamed it would happen like this. Jenna is left shattered and broken. When life becomes too painful to deal with and she feels completely alone, there’s only one person to help her pick up the pieces and move on. The one person she doesn’t want to turn to. The one person she promised to stay away from. Tyler.

Can Jenna put aside everything she knows about him and let Tyler help heal her broken heart?
*SOME SPOILERY*

Jenna's premonition came true: Reece definitely broke her heart. He died. Jenna is so devastated and pain engulfs her existence that living doesn't make sense to her anymore. But Tyler is right behind her at the toughest parts of her life and tells her what she has to realize in the harshest way possible. He irritates her and eventually feels something for him. But her guts tell her Reece is alive.

Breaking Waves is surprising. The paranormal aspect I have initially seen in Heart Waves drifted off of this novel. It focused more on romance and it somehow transformed from paranormal-wanna-be to a realistic-rebound-love-affair. The paranormal mentioned turned into more of an instinct-related realizations as opposed to visions which wasn't clearly explained in the first book. There wasn't really an origin to Jenna's ability and the story only made use of it at the beginning. Nothing backed it up. It surprised me because I was expecting it to drag on but at least, there has been minimal progress. After Reece died, the making-out session lessened and a plot seemed to arise. I just couldn't fathom what Reece and Tyler are hiding that it takes two novels to keep it a secret.

The Shakespeare sub-plotting is one major thing I also don't get. It is either one of two things: there's a plot or there isn't because obviously, it is all over the place. The mystery of Reece's death is just the reason why I let myself finish this thing hoping I'd get the best of it. Too bad, I was disappointed again.

Jenna is nothing but an irritating character. Aside from she falls in love as fast as a snap of a finger, she's easily drawn to lust. Though she still fights to preserve herself, I think it just wasn't ideal for a teen to feel aroused by shirtless good looking guy. Jenna also wasn't entirely sure of what she wants. She's claiming she's head over heels in love with Reece, but as soon as Tyler shows half-naked, she's suddenly moved on. I also felt uncomfortable with the way she talks back to her parents and the way she treats her friends. All in all, I hate Jenna.

On a lighter side, I miss Reece's character. His importance showed when Tyler took over the story. Tyler is straight to the point, an assertive type and definitely the bad boy one. He spices things up a notch. He's annoying attitude compensates Jenna's indecisiveness and balances Reece's romantic side. He is so far my favorite character in the sequel.

Breaking Waves is definitely better than the first book. I sensed an attempt to make the novel interesting and to let it still be sexy. I am hoping that the third book would answer all of my questions and would do justice to whatever emotional issues I experienced all throughout.

VERDICT:
"If you don't call back and find for yourself, you'll always wonder. Just a little bit of hope, that small window of uncertainty, it'll grow. It'll haunt you."

4 comments:

  1. The last book I read left me scratching my head. I feel like you did much better with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book before. Thanks for sharing :)

    I'm currently having a giveaway on my blog. Wanna check it out? GIVEAWAY here

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...