Monday, March 11, 2013

REVIEW: UNRAVEL ME BY TAHEREH MAFI.

Title: Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Edition: Paperback
Published: February 5, 2013
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 461
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Category: Romance, Dystopia, Paranormal
Trailer: Not Applicable yet
Synopsis:

tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

*Some spoilers here but I guess you've read Shatter Me so just go ahead and continue.*

Unravel Me is insanely perfect.

After Juliette escaped Warner's base, she, Adam and Kenji took refuge to the Omega Point to hone their abilities and plan their war strategies against the Reestablishment. Her stay there did not change the way she feels towards herself but only worsen her self-esteem and self-respect. Her life plummeted so darkly and so painful she no longer wants to interact with other people just to avoid hurting others. Her relationships became complicated but her abilities proved twice as lethal. And finding out the truth about Warner, Kenji and Adam triggered a new sense of future for her but she has to be stronger and braver and wise to survive.

Tahereh Mafi's writing is one of my favorite things in the literary world. How diverse her description of each emotion is just so surreal I can't fathom where she's getting her inspiration. I love her sense of humor, the authenticity of her novel, the lightness of the read and the deeper sense of Juliette's thoughts. There were instances I've felt I was reading my own feelings through her writing and I honestly felt closer to Mafi. Meeting her in person was one of the happiest days of my life and indulging myself with the world she created in her head makes me realize that I am looking at a glimpse of her heart, too.

Juliette's battle with herself is something we see everyday. I can relate to her and its easy to find comfort from her character. I loved how she evolved from being too innocent in Statter Me to being as strong as she is in Unravel Me. Its just that I simply don't agree that she did things to Adam she wasn't supposed to do. Her reasoning at first was something I could totally understand but after Chapter 62, I know I spoke too soon. You don't make out with someone else after a misunderstanding. Kenji is right, if you are not happy in a relationship, just leave. After reading Destroy Me, I turned Team Warner so fast I forgot how I fell for Adam first. Unravel Me reminded me that he is still the gentleman I've known, the loving and protective one. I loved how he doesn't want to give up on Juliette just yet and I wish I wouldn't see him hurting anymore. Kenji is the balance here. His humor and maturity balanced the character's chaotic thoughts and I loved how lightly his character's appeared. And lastly of course, Warner. I've learned his real name. I wanted him to tell me everything he told Juliette and I swear I was so surprised when I read Chapter 62. I was dreading it actually. The surprise Mafi saved on this chapter completely blew my mind. It drove me insane insane insane and caught me off guard. And the ending is epic. I've never encountered an ending as intense as this one. Not all authors would be brave enough to take a huge step out of their comfort zones. Am so glad Mafi did that.

Unravel Me, as far as I could tell, entails more of the character's struggles and emotion more than the dystopian approach which I truly appreciated because I get to know the characters deeper and and learned their ways of how they move and think within a world with limited resources. Though the paranormal aspect is thrilling, I found myself devouring every single thing the romance presented. I don't fancy love triangles but Mafi made sure this one would torture for the readers and her fans so much. I adored the intense development of the love triangle and it makes more sense to me now. True to her word, Mafi ensured that authenticity is implied to such high extent I get to absorb such bone-melting words.

Unravel Me is a chaotic and insane novel that one would see as beauty beyond words. It made me fall in love with the series harder the second time around. Juliette's mind flows like drought and kisses like sunlight. Book 3 might not be out until next year and its too much of a torture, but I think I could settle for Unravel Me at the moment because this book hangover would definitely last a while.

Thank you so much to Christine of Harper Collins for providing an ARC!

VERDICT:
"I want to be the friend you fall helplessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into  your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend, the one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body, Juliette. I want to know where to touch you, I want to know how to touch you. I want to know how to convince you to design a smile just for me. Yes, I do want to be your friend. I want so many things, I want your mind. Your strength. I want to be worth your time. I want to feel your skin on fire. I want to feel your heart racing next to mine because you want me. Because you never ever want me to stop. I want every second, every inch of you. I want all of it. I'm so desperately in love with you. (Warner)"

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I know this is from a long time ago, and you might not see this comment, but is there any possibility that you would be willing to trade this ARC of Unravel Me? I’m in love with Tahereh Mafi and her books, and I would be so thrilled if this would be possible! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alice. Thank you for dropping by. I always check my comments don't worry. This ARC is signed to me and it is one of the first ARCs I received. I won't be trading this one and I am truly sorry. Hope you find another one soon!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...