Friday, March 15, 2013

REVIEW: UNREMEMBERED BY JESSICA BRODY.

Title: Unremembered (Unremembered #1)
Author: Jessica Brody
Edition: Paperback
Published: March 5, 2013
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, & Giroux
Pages: 320
Source: Gifted by Louisse from The Soul Sisters
Category: Sci-Fi, Romance, Time Travel
Trailer: Here.
Synopsis:

When Freedom Airlines flight 121 went down over the Pacific Ocean, no one ever expected to find survivors. Which is why the sixteen-year-old girl discovered floating among the wreckage—alive—is making headlines across the globe.

Even more strange is that her body is miraculously unharmed and she has no memories of boarding the plane. She has no memories of her life before the crash. She has no memories period. No one knows how she survived. No one knows why she wasn’t on the passenger manifest. And no one can explain why her DNA and fingerprints can’t be found in a single database in the world.

Crippled by a world she doesn’t know, plagued by abilities she doesn’t understand, and haunted by a looming threat she can’t remember, Seraphina struggles to piece together her forgotten past and discover who she really is. But with every clue only comes more questions. And she’s running out of time to answer them.

Her only hope is a strangely alluring boy who claims to know her from before the crash. Who claims they were in love. But can she really trust him? And will he be able to protect her from the people who have been making her forget?

From popular young adult author Jessica Brody comes a compelling and suspenseful new sci-fi series, set in a world where science knows no boundaries, memories are manipulated, and true love can never be forgotten.
Unremembered is shockingly overwhelming.

Being the only survivor of a plane crash, Seraphina becomes an instant celebrity: everybody wants to talk to her and question her. She can't remember anything. Its as if her memory has been wiped completely out. Only a locket is left and she couldn't even remember it. Until a mysterious guy visits her at the hospital and tells her he knows her, she begins to question people's motives and tries to study if they're telling her the truth. She has to find Zen, the only one who can tell her who she is and the only one who knows about her locket.

Unremembered is one of my most anticipated novels for 2013 and I practically begged for an ARC. I was so stoked when a co-blogger gifted me her copy. The prose is indeed light and the intentions of focusing on the memory loss' whys and hows is very strong. I loved how Brody came up with such intriguing premise and that the uniqueness of it is so striking which I absolutely adored. The only thing I couldn't grasp is the genetic engineering. I don't know much about it but there were parts where I perceived it to be too impossible and felt like research should have made the possibilities, possible. Like tying a solid and tangible matter to someone's DNA sequence. It just doesn't convince me enough. And then there was transession which surprisingly a nice catch that eventually added up confusion at the end. But that probably is my favorite part of the novel where Brody attempted to write 2 different genres but manage to perfectly fit them together with consistency and sense.

The characters are surprising as well. I loved how this whole memory loss affected me from seeing it through Seraphina's eyes. Her burden is just so overwhelming that I feel like I wanted to console her at times. Good thing Zen is there to explain everything and let her remember on her own. Without him for sure, nothing would make sense and I wish Brody elaborated critical aspects like Seraphina's composition as an android (?) and at least why her memory was wiped out. My favorites are Rio and Maxxer, though. Good hearted characters in amidst of crazy circumstances.

I expected more from Unremembered. I could say I felt a little disappointed because I wanted more and I know there's more to it than this. I liked it though. It is a fast-paced, sci-fi novel that squeezes my heart every time I turn each page! I honestly couldn't put it down! Unremembered is a novel that would let you cherish your memories and look forward to the future! A nicely written book with an intriguing plot that would surely get everyone hooked! The twists are so good and the ending? EPIC!

Thank you Louisse Ang over at The Soul Sisters for the ARC!

VERDICT:
"Everybody knows the memories that really matter don't live in the mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...