Wednesday, May 1, 2013

REVIEW: HOOKED BY LIZ FICHERA.

Title: Hooked (Hooked #1)
Author: Liz Fichera
Edition: Paperback (ARC)
Published: January 29, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 368
Source: ARC borrowed from Kazhy at My Library in the Making
Category: Romance, Contemporary
Trailer: Here.
Synopsis:

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.
Hooked is uniquely plotted.

I never thought I would be this sad when I realized that Hooked had a make-over. I seriously loved the first cover! I wish they didn't have to change it because the initial one was very captivating as opposed to what they've printed. But I managed to like the story nonetheless.

Fred Oday, who is a native American girl, loves playing golf. It means business to her and she's way very good at it. When the coach for her school's golf team approached her and asked her to join the team, she thinks of the college scholarship and agrees. Even though she knows she's the only girl in the team and she doesn't know how to handle the very charming and star gold player, Ryan Berenger, she have to play well.

I enjoyed reading this unique novel by Fichera. When I say unique, it means that it was the first time I've encountered golf-centered novel which I truly appreciated. I loved how I learned things about golf because the only thing I know is how to swing on a driving range. The fact that Fichera took time to share her fascination for golf is something remarkable. I only wish there's more to being a native American is as opposed to what was just presented. It could be more fun to know more about their culture and belief.

I didn't enjoy much of the characters, though. Like how weak Fred appeared to me. I don't know, it maybe just me not liking her entirely. And Ryan slightly annoyed me. How can he just let some bully friend decide things for him and wait up until something crazy happens before taking action. How easily they kind of went crazy over each other. It was just debilitating from the start. But thank goodness for Mr. Odey's kind and loving heart that I found myself liking him and continuing on.

Hooked made me like it because of full blown golf and glimpse of native American culture. The expectations I had for it weren't delivered and it is infuriating to feel sad about that. I feel like there's too much easiness in it and failed to showcase important aspects. It is just sad it didn't work for me as much as I would like it to be.

Thank you so much Kazhy for lending me your ARC!

VERDICT:
 "Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...