Wednesday, May 1, 2013

FEATURE: AUTHOR OF THE MONTH.. (5)

I cannot contain the happiness and excitement I feel to share the author I will feature this month. HER debut novel became one of my ultimate paranormal favorites and featuring her and her books will always be my pleasure! For May I bring to you


 KATHLEEN PEACOCK.
The million-dollar question, what inspired you to write Hemlock?
I was listening to music one morning while walking to work. The song “It’s Been Awhile” by Staind started playing. Within seconds, a scene popped into my head—sort of like a music video. Three friends—a blond girl and two boys—were in a hospital room. The girl had been hurt and one of the boys, a hunter, had just learned the other was a werewolf.  

Over the years, I occasionally thought about those characters and what their lives and world would be like. When I decided to try writing a novel, they were the characters I was most interested in taking the journey with.

One of the things I loved about Hemlock is the cover. Did you have any say about it? Or was the cover your idea entirely?
Isn't it pretty? I actually didn't have much input into the cover. I asked for a few small changes to the title font and layout, but that was the extent of my involvement (which was fine with me as my publisher has an amazing art department and I knew they would do a great job).
Another reason I loved about it is the fact that the Lupine Syndrome is known. It felt like a huge risk stepping out of YA's comfort zone about paranormal being a secret. Why did you take that risk? I mean was it really the idea to begin with?
In that original scene that popped into my head, Jason was shocked that Kyle was a werewolf but not surprised that werewolves existed. It was clear to me that they lived in a world where people knew about werewolves and  I based the world building around that. 

And one especially lonely stretch of beach which was perfect for thinking  (Source)
Are we going to see more of Amy in the sequel?
Yes! Amy is definitely sticking around and will be just as creepy as ever!
Jason and Kyle's friendship is very strong. Is it inspired with a real-life friendship?
I wish! I’m always a bit jealous of people who have strong friendships that date back to childhood.  
Why werewolf? Why not vampires, faeries or dystopian plots?
The Kyle that popped into my head was a werewolf just like the Jason who popped into my head was a sort of werewolf hunter—the choice was entirely driven by the characters.
Are you Team Kyle or Team Jason? (I'm definitely Team Kyle!!)
Team Trey ;)
Why did you decide to title both books after the place where the novels happened?
Honestly? I’m just really horrible at titles. I didn't have a title for book one, so I just started calling it Hemlock after the town where the book was set. I fully expected my agent or publisher to suggest changing the name, but it just sort of stuck.

Why, yes, that is a Thornhill ARC. @gillianewise was right: they are pretty! *hugs book* (Source)
Any advise for aspiring young writers out there?
Read as often and as widely as you can.
Message to your Filipino fans! :)
You guys are AMAZING! Thank you SO MUCH for reading!

ABOUT THE BOOKS


You guys can definitely order Hemlock here:


And you can go ahead and pre-order Thornhill here:

About Kathleen

The Official Stuff

Kathleen Peacock spent her teen years crushing on authors and writing short stories about vampires. She put her writing dreams on hold while attending college, but tripped over them when office life started leaving her with an allergy to cubicles. Her debut, HEMLOCK, is coming May 8th, 2012 from Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of Harper Collins, and will be published in the UK under the title DEADLY HEMLOCK from Simon and Schuster Children’s Books.

The Other (less official) Stuff

I’m obsessed with Chuck Taylors.
I make Bella Swan look graceful and coordinated.
I have a diploma in graphic design and have had illustrations published in Applied Arts, the premiere magazine for Canadian design and visual communications.
I used to think moleskin notebooks were made out of actual mole skin.
Never engage me in a debate about Star Wars unless you have plenty of time on your hands.
I like sentence fragments. And watermelon. Both are tasty.
Mood boosting songs: “I Don’t Feel Like Dancing” by Scissor Sisters, “Via con me” by Paolo Conte, “When You Were Young” by The Killers.
I believe the Goonies really ‘r’ good enough.


Thank you so so much Kathleen for giving me a chance to feature you on my blog and I think I made it clear how much I am in love with Hemlock and thrilled for Thornhill! Can't wait!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...