Sunday, May 5, 2013

REVIEW: THE MARK OF ATHENA BY RICK RIORDAN.

Title: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus #3)
Author: Rick Riordan
Edition: Paperback
Published: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Pages: 574
Source: Bought from Powerbooks
Category: Middle Grade, Adventure, Mythology
Trailer: not applicable.
Synopsis:
Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.
And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close—the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?
Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.
Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare.
Mark of Athena is phenomenal!

I had this book sitting on my shelf since October of last year and now I'm actually trying to reason out with myself WHY it took me SO long to read it. I'm just simply at war with myself because none of my so called excuses is best enough to justify my very wrong move. I deserve to be thrown away in Tartarus. I think.

The union of seven demigods is planned by Hera to prevent Gaea from awakening. The Mark of Athena should only be taken and conquered by Annabeth alone. Jason, Leo and Piper go to Camp Jupiter to merge powers, have peace talks and get Percy but Leo, possessed by an Eiodolon, attacks the camp and starts a war between the camps. Hazel, Frank and Percy escape and and together with the other demigods, they have to face quests that may get them killed and will test their powers. They only have six days to save Nico and stop Rome from getting wiped out then they have to find out what the prophecies will lead them to.

Wow. How can I make justice to such adventurous read? Riordan gave me another fantastic novel! I loved every single thing about it! The world building he made here is another masterpiece! The way he described the locations in the US to the locations in Rome is scenic and add the very useful Argo II! And how can I forget that ever epic ending? After going through so much finding Jason and Percy with wiped out memories, here they are, facing another difficult one to find and save Percy and Annabeth even before stopping Gaea! I just wanted to scream and pull my hair after I've read it! It's that good!

The characters are magnificently presented. Each power, each quest and each development shows so much improvement and thrill! No one is left behind and each demigod surely had their own spotlight all throughout the novel. Riordan highlighted each demigod's strength and weakness that answers why they are the most powerful demigods existed. Annabeth, Percy (hilarious), Leo (super hilarious!), Hazel, Frank, Jason and Piper sure did make a good team and one couldn't continue without the other!

Riordan never fails to amaze me. His writing is just right to the core and his adventures always leave me catching my breath. Mark of Athena surely gave me all the goosebumps and mini heart attacks. The world building is getting better and better and the characters positively progresses every chapter! This third book to his Heroes of Olympus series is definitely the best yet among the books and I couldn't wait to read House of Hades!
VERDICT:
"Hercules, huh? Percy frowned. "That guy was like the Starbucks of Ancient Greece. Everywhere you turn--there he is." - Percy

8 comments:

  1. I ADORED this book! It's my favorite of the Heroes of Olympus series by FAR. I just loved having Percy and Annabeth reunited! And of the new demigods, Leo is my definite favorite. He's so funny!

    ~Merin @ Read and Reviewed~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for The House of Hades to come out!!!!!! Okay, I think that I used enough exclamation points there. lol I'm glad you enjoyed this book. Rick Riordan never lets me down when I'm in the mood to read a good adventure. Plus that ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another series I keep seeing around but haven't get to read it yet! I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I can't wait to read it myself! :)

    Zaira Lynn (Best Microsoft Software Downloads)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this series and I'm super excited to read The Mark Of Athena after hearing how much you loved it! I'm really curious about what the heartbreaking cliffhanger is now too.

    Marlene Detierro (Hummer H1 Parts)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...