Wednesday, May 29, 2013

REVIEW: SWEET PERIL (THE SWEET TRILOGY #2) BY WENDY HIGGINS.

Title: Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy #2)
Author: Wendy Higgins
Edition: Paperback
Published: April 30, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 371
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Category: Urban Fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
Trailer: not available.
Synopsis:

Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things.

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?
Sweet Peril made me cry not just a river but tsunami.

Sweet Evil seriously tormented my entire respiratory system after that ending. I've never wanted a sequel as bad as Sweet Peril because I wanted to mend my broken parts. I also wanted to know HOW would Kaidan heal from all of these and I was so fortunate to be given an ARC! Honestly, I finished it after not being able to put it down for 5 straight hours.

Anna goes to "pretend" working and goes partying and drinking all the time. Somehow, her broken heart pushes her to be someone else. When she learns that she has to play a huge part in making peace between Dukes and other Nephs, she and her dad start to gather allies and she eventually has to face Kaidan.

I was taken aback by how Higgins widen the scope of world building on her sequel. At first, I could sense some similarities to Mark of Athena but not entirely a major thing. The travel, though short, made the story much exciting. At least it didn't get stuck on one location. I liked the countries she incorporated because the cultures perfectly matched the the description of each of the characters she represented. The plot is broaden and more questions has been answered. Plus, broken hearts found hope.

My love for Anna didn't change. She may have been astray a little but I think it her behavior was justified. I particularly adored how she fought and clung so hard to the only thing that her shattered heart longed for even though the pain was extremely antagonizing. Her love for her parents and respect to herself are traits I also loved about her that is why I think Kaidan should never hurt her in anyway for any reason. I was pissed at first that Kaidan was too distant and cold but his feelings for her truly proved that he would do anything to keep her safe, even if it would cost him so much. Belial is still the best Duke dad there is!

Sweet Peril is a dangerous, sweet, funky and romantic sequel perfect for Sweet Evil! I may have cried tsunami in some heart-crushing parts but I loved how masochistic I've become! It is unputdownable, riveting and exciting! Can't wait for the final book to come out!

Thank you so much Sarah of HarperCollins for the ARC!

VERDICT:
"Love was the essence of being alive."

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this trilogy and I hope i'll get a copy soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed reading Sweet Peril as much as I do too. :) And yes, Belial is really a cool dad. He acts so tough but on the inside he's so sweet and protective of his daughter. Also, I'm glad that Wendy added a lot of exposure of Blake. Blake is such a cool character too! He's funny and so outgoing. It's not hard not to like him. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...