Thursday, May 9, 2013

REVIEW: THE ELITE BY KIERA CASS.

Title: The Elite (The Selection #2)
Author: Kiera Cass
Edition: Paperback
Published: April 23, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 323
Source: Bought from Fully Booked
Category: Chick Lit, Romance
Trailer: not available
Synopsis:

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.
The Elite surely gives "unbearable feelings".

I just recently bought my paperback copy of The Elite and started it immediately bypassing any titles on queue because aside from its pretty cover, I cannot help but wonder who America chooses. I've been on Team Aspen since the beginning and my lovely friends are mostly on Team Maxon. I am kind of wishing that I made the right choice and I'm glad to say that I remained cheering for Team Aspen.

The Elite revolves on the six ladies left to compete for the crown, America's love life and the kingdom's fight against the rebels. While the competition is on going, the rebels attack the kingdom making their existence known. And while the ladies are competing for Prince Maxon, America is confused whether to go on and fight for her chance to be crowned princess or just simply back out because she thinks she doesn't have what it takes.

The novel is kind of all over the place which made it hard for me to truly pinpoint the main plot. It shifts from one scene to another all at once. For me, this could make or break a novel. I remember that The Selection is a little bit dystopian with so much Chick Lit on it and in The Elite, I find it focusing more on the Chick Lit aspect. The Castes were still highlighted but because it uses monarchy, whenever a guard or the Prince needs to go someplace else, I can't help but imagine horses, you know. Given that, I haven't been able to feel the "futuristic" element of it.

Okay. The characters. WHERE SHOULD I START? The acknowledgement Cass wrote says something about "having unbearable feelings" about this sequel. True enough, I did feel that. It was unbearably annoying yet enjoyable at the same time. Annoying because goodness, these characters should grow up. America for example was terribly immature in so many ways. She was so impulsive, irresponsible and a little selfish. She was being offered a chance of a lifetime only to opt for something senseless. Everything that she does is based upon her current emotion. She's confused with whoever she has to choose when it's clearly obvious that she likes someone else. And she's a total crybaby. She's brave for stepping up and I give her that but I don't know, she's irritating at times. I didn't expect her to develop this way but I seriously find it hilarious. I am annoyed but I couldn't put it down! Prince Maxon was so romantic just like what I imagined and I adored how he stands up for what he truly wants. I liked how he could tolerate stupidity but gives an ultimatum once needed. And Aspen turned out to be much handsome in this novel! He's a little pushy about getting America back but I cannot blame him for America gives him all the right to be. I still love him for being true to his feelings and how he can be the best friend anyone could wish for despite the situation. And I find the whole thing enjoyable because I was eager to know how it would end and it's yes, bearable.

The Elite is a thrilling sequel. It is hilarious and well-written. Cass' intentions for The Elite surely did its job in bringing different emotions to readers and that attempt did make me enjoy it. This is an addicting one.

VERDICT:
"Love is a beautiful fear."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...