Sunday, August 25, 2013

REVIEW: CROWN OF MIDNIGHT BY SARAH MAAS.

Title: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Edition: Paperback and eARC
Published: August 27, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 417
Source: Chyna of Lite-Rate-Ture and NetGalley
Category: High-fantasy, Romance, Paranormal
Trailer: not available
Synopsis:

An assassin’s loyalties are always in doubt.
But her heart never wavers.

After a year of hard labor in the Salt Mines of Endovier, eighteen-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien has won the king's contest to become the new royal assassin. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown – a secret she hides from even her most intimate confidantes.

Keeping up the deadly charade—while pretending to do the king's bidding—will test her in frightening new ways, especially when she's given a task that could jeopardize everything she's come to care for. And there are far more dangerous forces gathering on the horizon -- forces that threaten to destroy her entire world, and will surely force Celaena to make a choice.

Where do the assassin’s loyalties lie, and who is she most willing to fight for?
CROWN OF MIDNIGHT IS SIMPLY THE BOMB!

HOW? HOW CAN I EVEN REVIEW THIS AWESOME SEQUEL WITHOUT SPOILING SO MUCH? HOW?

OMG! I CANT EVEN! MY HEART BEATS WILD!

I KNEW IT WOULD JUST BLOW WHATEVER LEFT OF MY MIND WAY MORE THAN HOW THRONE OF GLASS ALMOST ANNIHILATED MY BRAIN!

IT WAS JUST SO SURREAL!

OMG!

Let me calm down a bit here.

Whew.

WARNING THOUGH, THIS REVIEW MIGHT CONTAIN LITTLE SPOILERS.

Maas did it again! If she perfected Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight was just triple the perfection! Every little bit of action/mystery was definitely concocted with sheer awesomeness that there is no way, like NO WAY to put this book down! Finishing it at 3 in the morning and capslock-tweeting my pouring emotions wouldn't simply express how insane this sequel made me feel! It was way more than what I expected -- IS THERE ANOTHER SUPERLATIVE WORD AFTER BEST? Because that's what I would use.

Celaena continues to be the King's Champion. The King gives her names to assassinate but she has a secret: she fake their deaths. No one knows about this and for sure, death awaits her once the King finds out. She has yet to uncover the King's very dark secrets, her friend Princess Nehemiah's intention for staying, Dorian and Chaol's feelings for her and who is the mysteriously cloaked person roaming in the library at night that gives her the feeling something isn't right.

Crown of Midnight took me to CELAENA's beautiful yet dangerous world once again. How I missed her kickass moves and her quirky antics! Her hilarious sarcasm didn't float much around Crown of Midnight but one thing I can surely share -- SHE MATURED. I fell in love with her again here. Like twice as hard. Her rage, love, friendship, pain, loss and HISTORY were all well-developed and engulfed her character in ways I cannot explain. Her element of badassery was so strong I kept kicking the air while reading the scenes she kicks butts. Oh gosh. She's super duper awesome here. An assassin with a loving heart. Her sacrifices were more than comprehension, I mean her pain was just something I don't think I can bear. Whoever she CHOSE to be was only the selfless part of who she truly were. And I cannot wait to continue this adventure with A.. I mean Celaena in the next books in the series.

CHAOL WESTFALL. My wonderful Chaol. Yes. I am actually switching teams now. Am going to be Team Chaol for a while just because. But what the heck. He wasn't this romantic, expressive, hot captain back in ToG! Not that am complaining! I honestly didn't expect that I would root for him this time and am actually glad because I feel like finally, Celaena found someone who can make her happy! And I mean, Chaol would perfectly blend with Celaena's strong personality without issues. It really takes someone to remember every single detail about the other's existence and without his love for Celaena, I wouldn't have realized how TRULY strong her blood was. I just wish though that sometimes, he'd be more rational with things.

Though there's obviously a blossomed love triangle here, I commend PRINCE DORIAN's willingness to let things be. I might have wished for him to pursue whatever he thinks would make him happy also, but his courage to give way to friendship and true happiness for others melted my heart. He will be a good king without a doubt. And I hope when he's crowned King, he'd be the king Princess Nehemiah dreamed of because SERIOUSLY? OMG WHAT PRINCESS NEHEMIAH DID JUST SHATTERED MY ENTIRE WORLD

And the KEYS? Not only reminded me of the awesome Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows but goodness gracious, its like adventure/fantasy raised to 1000th power! It wasn't only magical but it gives this hair-raising thrill to go on with their quest to unearth these secrets the King kills for. SO SO GOOD AND SO SO EXCITING!

Crown of Midnight is such highly (repeat "highly" 1 million times) recommended book to everyone, whatever age-bracket you're at. This is a all-in-one series: bone-breaking action, mind-blowing quests, heart-breaking romance and magical surprise elements that will surely leave you AWED, I cannot express how much I love love love this novel and even though waiting for book 3 is almost the same as being a slave in the Salt Mines, I would willingly and patiently wait -- WITHOUT A SINGLE DROP OF DOUBT IT'D BE AWESOME AND WORTHWHILE.

Thank you Chyna from Lite-rate-ture for the ARC and Netgalley/Bloomsbury for the eARC!

"But no matter what I did, Elentiya, I want you to know that in the darkness of the past ten years, you were one of the bright lights for me. Do not let that light go out."

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...