Monday, October 21, 2013

REVIEW: MY LIFE NEXT DOOR BY HUNTLEY FITZPATRICK.

Title: My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Edition: Paperback
Published: June 14, 2012
Publisher: Dial Books For Young Readers
Pages: 394
Source: Bought from National Bookstore
Category: Contemporary, Romance
Trailer: not applicable

Amazon Book DepositoryGoodreads Barnes and Noble

Synopsis:

"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.
My Life Next Door is an adorable novel!

I've been eyeing this novel for the longest time already and screen-capturing photos from Instagram has been the alternative to the insatiable book hunger. I waited and waited for the hard cover to be available here but I can wait no longer. It is such a rewarding feeling to be able to enjoy a dream book I've been longing to have -- there is just no words to describe the joy a simple simple can provide.

Sure enough, My Life Next Door provides how one summer can bring so much change into one's life. From doing what we are accustomed to to doing things we've only entertained in our dreams can be a stepping stone to discovering ourselves along the process. This novel mirrors two types of lives -- the poor and the rich. I adored how Fitzpatrick showcased The Garrets in such different light. Money can really not buy happiness. No matter how chaotic their lives are and how money is scarce, the Garrets -- this family I love -- remain intact and depict the true value of family. I personally don't want to have such huge family but I want to adopt their sense of belonging.

The plot is something I've heard before so My Life Next Door unfortunately didn't strike me as much as I was hoping it would. I also saw several typos along the way. And what ticked me most is how ridiculous Samantha acts, how selfish and insecure Nan all this time and how obnoxious Clay is! Good thing Tim compensated it by his ever straight to the point attitude! He might have been stoned most of the time but I like his attitude. He's easy going and can ba a real friend if he wanted to.

But what I 100% adored about this novel isn't only those adorable kids or Mr. and Mrs. Garret or the romance but also JASE. He's all I want in this lifetime! He's not only good looking but his values? PHENOMENAL. His entire character made me fall in love with him and how I wish guys I know in real life would be just like him - respectful, responsible, kind-hearted, hard working and loving. HE'S JUST PERFECT.

My Life Next Door is simple yet complex at the same time. Simple in a manner that it will capture your heart from the cover up to the last page and complex in a way that it hits deeper. A family oriented novel with such high amount of swooning when it comes to the love department, this novel gives the right dosage of love, hate, friendship, greed and smoking sexiness a reader needs.

"You're walking along on this path, dazzled by how perfect it is, how great you feel, and then just a few forks in the road and you are lost in a place so bad you never could have imagined it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...