Thursday, October 10, 2013

REVIEW: WHAT'S LEFT OF ME BY KAT ZHANG.

Title: What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles #1)
Author: Kat Zhang
Edition: Paperback
Published: September 18, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 343
Source: Finished copy sent by the Publisher
Category: Dystopia, Fantasy
Trailer: Here.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and Noble

Synopsis:

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.
What's Left of Me is intriguing.

Upon reading the synopsis, one body that shares two souls is definitely catchy. I have been wanting to read this debut novel since last year but I just haven't had the time to do so plus I couldn't find a copy. Again, thank you Sarah of HarperCollins for sending in a copy for review!

Addie and Eva shares the same body.  Addie is the dominant soul and Eva should have been gone years ago. But her part of the soul stayed. They have been trying to be normal since they didn't really settle but a secret can only be kept for so long. They are identified by a clinic that claims to be treating hybrids. But Addie and Eva find out that hybrids are killed and she has to get out of there and save her friends.

I actually had issues with What's Left of Me. It was a little hard to sync with the characters because it was confusing. I couldn't tell which one is actually talking and I don't think I fully grasped the entirety of the plot. I wish there was more to the Hybrid part and backing up the world building by at least a little more history would have helped a lot. I didn't expect romance so I am okay with that. I think the dystopia/sci-fi combo Zhang created in this novel just wasn't for me.

What I love though is the fact that the ambitious plot is one of a kind. I loved wrapping my mind to the uniqueness of having two souls in one body. How scary experiments and endless escaping have molded the characters to be strong and wise. The fight to live and be acknowledged pinch the heart and I am impressed by how much Zhang expressed one's hunger for affirmation in such futuristic approach. I cannot wait to read Once We Were.

What's Left of Me is a novel that exposes fight for life. It is executed in such unique way that makes the mind work double time. It is mysterious and definitely a good read.

Thank you so much Sarah of HarperCollins for the finished copy!

"But understanding a thing and accepting are so very different things."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...