Friday, October 4, 2013

REVIEW: THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE BY LEILA SALES.

Title: This Song Will Save Your Life
Author: Leila Sales
Edition: eARC
Published: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Pages: 288
Source: NetGalley
Category: Romance, Contemporary
Trailer: not applicable

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreads Barnes and Noble

Synopsis:

Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.
This Song Will Save Your Life didn't save me.

When I saw it on NetGalley, I requested for it without reading the synopsis because a) this cover is very catchy and b)a lot of my bookish friends keep on raving about it on Twitter. Thankfully I was approved hence this review.

Basically, this story is about a teenager (Elise) who tries to find herself and who seeks attention and true friendship. With the help of music (which she thinks the only thing she's really good at), she tries to learn how to fit in and just love herself.

I won't even going to attempt to write an "extensive" review for this novel because obviously, I had some issues with it. I don't know what the heck Elise's problem is. Seriously. I don't understand why she has to seek attention from such judgmental and bully society when she has a very supportive family. I also don't get why she has to wreck Alex's castle. Like, I DO NOT GET IT AT ALL. She isn't insecure nor ugly but she's acting as if she's imbecile or something. She just shuts everyone out thinking she wouldn't be appreciated which I totally, again, don't understand. Gah. She's okay. I mean, why does she have to make this senseless defense mechanism to just generalize that people will never like her, that she's not interesting? Why does she have to gain the society's affirmation? JUST WHY?

The romance is also vague. I cannot wrap my mind about it.  I just can't. I don't even get the plot. Is it about DJing? About a teenager with suicidal issues? About a person who doesn't really have a problem but just finds fault in life? About bullying? About music? About friendship? WHAT? WHATTTTT?

Two things I totally loved though? THE MUSIC and VICKY.

This Song Will Save Your Life completely confused me. I didn't connect with any of the characters and I didn't see what the plot is trying to imply. However, I loved how I was educated with DJing and how music could be really an escape. I am sad my relationship with this book didn't work at all.

Thank you FSG and NetGalley for the eARC!

"You think it's so easy to change yourself.
You think it's so easy, but it's not.
What do you think it takes to reinvent yourself as an all-new person, a person who makes sense, who belongs? Do you change your clothes, your hair, your face? Go on, then. Do it. Pierce your ears, trim your bangs, buy a new purse. They will still see past that, see you, the girl who is still too scared, still too smart for her own good, still a beat behind, still, always, wrong. Change all you want, you can't change that.
I know because I tried."
"But can you put a price on happiness? Really, if that's what it costs to make you glad to be yourself, then isn't it worth it?"
"We all want things that aren't good for us."
"Some people think they know you. They know a few facts about you and they piece you together in a way that makes sense to them. And if you don't know yourself very well, you might even believe that they are right. But the truth is, that isn't you. That isn't you at all."
"What do you do when you say sorry but that still isn't enough?"
"You think it's easy to change yourself. You think it's so easy, but it's not. True, things don't stay the same forever: couches are replaced, boys leave, you discover a song, your body becomes forever scarred. And with each of these moments you change and change again, your true self spinning, shifting positions - but always at last it turns to you, like a dancer on the floor. because throughout it all, you are still, always, you: beautiful and bruised, known and unknowable. And isn't that - just you - enough?"

4 comments:

  1. LOL this -->> This Song Will Save Your Life didn't save me

    Maybe she's PMS-ing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much hype about this book but when I read your review, I'm sort of hesitating to request it on NetGalley. And "This Song Will Save Your Life didn't save me" HAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit wary when you told me you weren't so fond of the book, but it looks like I had a completely opposite reaction! I really loved the book. Bullying is such a difficult subject and I had complete empathy for Elise. She may have a family who loves her, but I think that's just what makes the situation all the more sad because she feels like she can't say anything to them- that it won't make a difference. And that's the way school bullying really is sometimes. Kids can be so cruel to each other and adults don't even notice. She tries so hard and it never makes the bullying stop. That's part of the reason why she destroys Alex's castle; she didn't want her sister to experience what she had gone through. I like what music and being a DJ gives back to Elise though- somewhere she felt safe and could be someone else, even if it was only for a little while. I don't think the plot is meant to be only one thing; it's a bit of everything... but most of all, to me, it was an emotional journey for Elise and seeing her realize that friendships come in different forms.

    lol, anyways, that's what I thought, but it was interesting to see how our reactions to the book are so different! (I should totally use some of what I just said and write a review too...) Thanks for the honest review, Kate. :)

    ~ Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she's protecting Alex that's why she ruined her castle. That's just kill joy and crazy I think meheheheh

      And maybe the reason why I didn't click with the novel is because people can always fight back. So that's that.

      So glad you loved it, Liz!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...