Monday, October 28, 2013

REVIEW: TUMBLE AND FALL BY ALEXANDRA COUTTS.

Title: Tumble & Fall
Author: Alexandra Coutts
Edition: Hardbound
Published: September 17, 2013
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Pages: 384
Source: Finished copy provided by the Publisher
Category: Contemporary, Dystopia
Trailer: not applicable

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and Noble

Synopsis:

 A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings

The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week’s time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn’t how to save the world—the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family—all with the ultimate stakes at hand.

Alexandra Coutts's TUMBLE & FALL is a powerful story of courage, love, and hope at the end of the world.
*CONTAINS LITTLE SPOILERS*

Tumble and Fall would have been a promising story.

One of my favorite BookTubers got an ARC of this novel and I was convinced that Tumble & Fall is an exciting novel. True enough, I've never heard of a PRE-apocalyptic novel and that alone hooked me. What would people do if they only have a week on Earth before an asteriod will hit and destroy it? Isn't that an amazing plot? And thankfully, Pan MacMillan Asia sent me a copy for review and I couldn't contain my happiness when I received the package. I was like a little girl inside a Barbie store and told to get whatever Barbie I want! The moment is just pure bliss.

However, it was surely a devastating feeling when I finished Tumble & Fall. It wasn't what I expected it would be. The 'Pre-apocalyptic' notion was just a touch to an entirely different story. Truth be told, it felt like a contemporary story hanging by the mere fact that the world will end in a week. But nothing deeper about the said apocalypse is laid on the table. Maybe I expected too much or I held on tight to the synopsis that's why I am deeply disappointed.

I love contemporary novels but I don't see myself liking Tumble and Fall *so much* even if I look at it like that. There wasn't depth to it if I may say. It revolved around the three main characters and their personal issues that doesn't quite match the upcoming catastrophe. I kept asking myself WHAT WOULD I DO IF I AM IN THIS SITUATION and personally, whatever happened in the story isn't wouldn't be my answer.

--- STOP! SPOILERS AHEAD---
Sienna. She left her family to be with her childhood sweetheart. Then eventually realizing that her familly matters and left the guy. She changed her mind like at the last day of Earth.
Zan. She doubted her dead boyfriend who she thought cheated on her then went into a scavenger hunt with her boyfriend's best friend to gather facts. She's trying to find closure but slept with the guy. Then she found out her dead boyfriend was just trying to find her long lost sister for her.
Cayden. Had a lifetime of grudge towards his father for leaving them. He may have been technically kidnapped by his father, but the thought of saving him and starting a relationship with him is there. Cayden didn't even try to have a relationship with his dad even after the effort. He ignored it and even ran away with his father's girlfriend to go back to his drunk mother.
---END OF SPOILERS---

These characters live in one island and eventually found each other on their way back home.
I am skeptical to whether give this book a one-star rating (because I couldn't AT ALL grasp it) or three-star rating (because of other reasons) but well, I am going for the latter and here's why:

Off by two stars: I was mislead by the catchy phrase -- let me reiterate the "I"-- and this I blame myself. I should have done a little bit of a research. I would have saved myself from all these disappointments but am still thankful that I got the chance to read it. The inconsistencies I also saw were brimming on the downfall side of the story. Example is how can someone remember exact names and conversation happened a year ago with a person you only met once and never saw again? That really lingered in my mind. I just believe that consistency of a story is very important. Tumble & Fall actually tumbled and fell on that part.

1/3 stars: This is for Coutts' effort and intention in bring such unique story. I just totally hate the fact that it didn't completely work for me.
2/3 stars: That PRE-APOCALYPTIC notion that I really looked forward to. I wish there was more to it and I am hundred percent sure, this novel would have skyrocketing ratings. I guess I wanted more to see of the dystopian/apocalyptic part more than the contemporary side. I don't know. It was just basically the main reason why I was so eager to read it. Too bad that I didn't get much of it.
3/3 stars: For that lovely cover, the third person narration, the division of the story by day/characters and for that fantastic Forgiving Wheel.

Tumble and Fall is a novel of decisions. It talks so much of our different takes in different circumstances which shows how valuable what the heart tells. Recommended for those who have loved and lost; have searched and been found.

"She knows that there might be other endings, bigger endings, soon. The end of everything. The end of time. But it doesn't matter. All that matters now is that things are changing again, just when she'd started to hope that they wouldn't."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...