Sunday, October 6, 2013

REVIEW: WITCHSTRUCK BY VICTORIA LAMB.

Title: Witchstruck (The Tudor Witch Trilogy #1)
Author: Victoria Lamb
Edition: eARC
Published: September 24, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 320
Source: NetGalley
Category: Romance, Paranormal
Trailer: not applicable

Amazon Book DepositoryGoodreads Barnes and Noble

Synopsis:

If she sink, she be no witch and shall be drowned. If she float, she be a witch and must be hanged.

Meg Lytton has always known she is different;that she bears a dark and powerful gift. But in 1554 England, in service at Woodstock Palace to the banished Tudor princess Elizabeth, it has never been more dangerous to practice witchcraft. Meg knows she must guard her secret carefully from the many suspicious eyes watching over the princess and her companions. One wrong move could mean her life, and the life of Elizabeth, rightful heir to the English throne. With witchfinder Marcus Dent determined to have Meg's hand in marriage, and Meg's own family conspiring against the English queen, there isn't a single person Meg can trust. Certainly not the enigmatic young Spanish priest Alejandro de Castillo, despite her undeniable feelings. But when all the world turns against her, Meg must open her heart to a dangerous choice. The Secret Circle meets The Other Boleyn Girl in Witchstruck ,the first book of the magical Tudor Witch trilogy.
Witchstruck is absolutely cinematic!

Set in the 1500s, Meg's thankful for her newly found escape. Serving the King's Daughter, Princess Elizabeth, she does everything to please the princess because she doesn't want to marry the Witchfinder Marcus. She uses this chance to elude him. Being a witch apprentice to her Aunt, she uses her power not to harm people but merely to help Princess Elizabeth see what her future in England holds. However, they have to be really careful because in this era, witches are hanged and people are not afraid to expose even the slightest evidence of Witchery.

My thoughts on bullets:

  • World building? CHECK. I love it. I can pretty much imagine it as a very pretty 1500s era with corsets and gowns and all that. I've always been fascinated with these things!
  • Romance? CHECK. I enjoyed it. It took time to develop. But I totally understand fancying a very handsome Spaniard at first sight!
  • Prose? CHECK. Reading historical fiction as been a struggle for me not because I hate the stories but mainly because of the prose. Some novels use too old English and I don't easily immerse with those. But this one? I TOTALLY LOVE. I mean, the formality of the voice just worked for me immediately. It can be easily understood which I loved.
  • Character development? HALF CHECK. I feel like they were not given ample amount of time to grow. My argument is basically connected to the next bullet point.
  • Characters? HALF CHECK. Well, Meg is okay. I mean, she's trusting and kind hearted but I guess, fearing for her life took a lot of her. Being a powerful witch like her, she could have done a lot of things not to deceive people but to help.She can't even save herself from Marcus who tortured her at some point. I love Elizabeth though. She's smart and she uses her royalty the way she sees fit. Also, I loveeeeeeeeeee Alejandro! Who would go wrong with a Spaniard? I mean, I automatically imagines how good looking he is! And his manners are absolutely plug handsome points!
  • Plot? CROSS. For some reason, I didn't really see any plot here. I know Meg's a witch and the Princess is accused of treason but what? NOTHING. I didn't get anything because the story revolved only on getting back a possible tampered letter that will be used for rebellions. I wish there was more, like I was kind of hoping that the Princess was a witch as well or at least use Latin for the incantations to add a little mystery to the witches. Also, the political aspect wasn't backed up much. So naaaaa, there's absolutely zero plotting or better under developed plot.
Witchstruck is a novel about forbidden powers, strange friendship and complicated romance that is addictive! Absolutely a heart-warming story that will surely make you grip your books/ereaders hard! It is mysterious, dark and very bewitching!

Thank you Harlequin Teen and NetGalley for the eARC!

 "Quote to follow."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...