Thursday, February 20, 2014

REVIEW: UNHINGED BY AG HOWARD.

Title: Unhinged (Splintered #2)
Author: A. G. Howard
Edition: Paperback
Published: January 7, 2014
Publisher: Amulet Books
Pages: 394
Source: ARC provided by the Publisher
Category: Fantasy, Retelling, Romance
Trailer: Here.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and NobleNational Book Store 

Synopsis:

Alyssa Gardner has been down the rabbit hole and faced the bandersnatch. She saved the life of Jeb, the guy she loves, and escaped the machinations of the disturbingly seductive Morpheus and the vindictive Queen Red. Now all she has to do is graduate high school and make it through prom so she can attend the prestigious art school in London she's always dreamed of.

That would be easier without her mother, freshly released from an asylum, acting overly protective and suspicious. And it would be much simpler if the mysterious Morpheus didn’t show up for school one day to tempt her with another dangerous quest in the dark, challenging Wonderland—where she (partly) belongs.

As prom and graduation creep closer, Alyssa juggles Morpheus’s unsettling presence in her real world with trying to tell Jeb the truth about a past he’s forgotten. Glimpses of Wonderland start to bleed through her art and into her world in very disturbing ways, and Morpheus warns that Queen Red won’t be far behind.

If Alyssa stays in the human realm, she could endanger Jeb, her parents, and everyone she loves. But if she steps through the rabbit hole again, she'll face a deadly battle that could cost more than just her head.
*MIGHT BE SPOILERY*

Unhinged is absolutely mystical!

In this review, I will be showcasing 3 feels because I loved AG Howard's sequel for Splintered, Unhinged so much. Aside from THAT tantalizing book cover *licks cover*, there is more to it than a pretty face! I couldn't express enough how much I adored Splintered and wrapping up Unhinged tonight absolutely lifted my entire existence, I kid you not! Gosh. AG Howard definitely knows how to tease her readers and this follow up novel for her debut, Unhinged is truly darker yet beyond romantic mixed up in one book!

ALL THE CREEPY FEELS.

WHERE IN THE WORLD THESE CREEPY CREATURES CAME FROM?? My imagination? Howard's head? Wonderland? Who wouldn't get scared with THE clown alone? I couldn't even include the Sisters and Red! The Clown seriously kept me awake the entire night because I kept thinking it would just appear outside my window! I LOVED HOW THESE SIMPLE CREATURES GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS! These are the things I wanted to see more from Unhinged (aside from my beautiful Moth!). How one book could make you feel scared to the core! Very marvelous and liberating indeed!

ALL THAT YEARNING FEELS.

Why?? Why couldn't I see Wonderland again? Why couldn't I see even a glimpse of it? Why am I left so tempted to bounce and fall down the Rabbit Hole? I LOVED HOW HOWARD TURNED THIS PART UPSIDE DOWN! I thought I would be able to go back to such magical world yet she held up the trip! I felt like she focused on Al's dilemma on which world to choose. I totally appreciated how I was held back from visiting my favorite place in this world because THIS IS PUSHING ME TO YEARN HARD FOR ENSNARED!

ALL THE FEELS FEELS.

I wasn't totally ready.

I wasn't ready to be torn apart. I wasn't ready to be loved and unloved at the same time. I wasn't ready to be left hanging by being locked away forever from Wonderland. I wasn't ready to sacrifice the ones I loved most. I wasn't ready to be left alone. And I wasn't ready to be crazy.
Seeing things from Al's eyes made me ache that my bones hurt. From page one until the last, I DEEPLY felt every emotion she has to go through. True enough, the entire book is quotable that I nearly finished 3 sticky notes for tabbing everything. From jealousy to doubt, from love to longing, from disgust to trust. I felt like I am reading my feelings and it was simply so surreal to see what you feel exactly how you feel it. As if Howard have forseen what I am going to feel and wrote it for me instead. That is how much I am attached to this book. It is as if I am holding my printed my emotions.

Jeb's emotion matured in the sequel, too. I never have anticipated that he would actually be MORE bold when it comes to his love for Al. Even though he was also torn for ALMOST choosing between his career and relationship, it was clear that he would do everything he could to give Al a better life. No matter how painful it is to not spend time with her. I truly adored his intentions and how he tried to prove that he is the right man. And even though his trust was tested, he once again have proven how much Al meant to him that he's always ready to overlook mistakes. Nothing can beat THAT.

Well, I missed Morpheus. His existence in the book left me longing for more. His sarcasm and snarky comments made me yearn for his character to flutter through my wide open door. His pain and hope drove him to do things beyond his control and I loved every bit of it. He is ridiculously funny, annoying, loving and selfless. His ways of expressing what he feels can sometimes get into your nerve but that what makes him Morpheus. That is what made me root for him. He's annoyingly beautiful. He's annoyingly perfect.

Unhinged seeps into your bloodstream which will make your heart stop beating. It is written so beautifully that love can be magic and magic can be love. In amid of darkness, Unhinged shares hope that pushes relationships to grow and trust to develop. I cannot wait to get my hands on the last installment! I AM SOOO THIRSTY FOR MORPHEUS!!

Thank you Tina of Abrams and Chronicle UK for my review copy!

"Nothing can break the chains you have on my heart. For you ARE Wonderland."
".. since when is only half of something the best of anything?"
"I am MAD and I embrace it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...