Monday, November 4, 2013

REVIEW: SPLINTERED BY A.G. HOWARD.

Title: Splintered (Splintered #1)
Author: A. G. Howard
Edition: Paperback
Published: January 1, 2013
Publisher: Amulet Books
Pages: 377
Source: Bought from Fullybooked
Category: Fantasy, Retelling, Romance
Trailer: Here.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and Noble

Synopsis:

Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family.

She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.
Splintered is marvelous!

How can you possibly write something good about a book that took your sanity away? How will you start blurbing about it when in fact, you're too much hangover you simply can't find the words? How will you be able to make justice to something so unjustifiably beautiful? How?

The answer is: you cannot.

This is how I currently feel about Splintered. I thought I have read it in the past only to be slapped in the face so hard my core shooked. I haven't read it yet. Because something this *insert the best adjective ever invented here* cannot be forgotten. There is no way in this universe you could ever forget this story. Your mind will be annihilated so don't even try to even think about it. It is seriously MIND BLASTING and excuse my babbling but THIS book because it is just worth babbling about -- FOREVER AND EVER AMEN.

Let me also try my very best to share how much Splintered kept me awake the entire night drooling, stomping, screaming and sobbing. Let me try.

THE COVER. I looked over my entire book collection to find a cover I could compare this beauty to. I found a lot of pretty covers but NOTHING could ever compare to how colorful, lively, mystical and mysterious this cover is. It is like, a love at first sight kind of thing. I wanna actually marry it and have kids with it. Seriously.

FONT/PAGE DESIGN. Howard tried to warn me about the purple font because I might mistaken it for a candy and lick it. Well, I almost did because this is one of the astounding designs I've ever seen (include Chaos of Stars on this list please). Aside from the purple font, the designs on each chapter page are PHENOMENAL. I WILL DEFINITELY SCOUT FOR A HARDBOUND COPY OF THIS BECAUSE IT IS WORTH ALL MY MONEY.

WORLD BUILDING. Alice in Wonderland in the 21st century. Twisted. Magical. Delusional. Magnificent. Colorful. Movie-worth. Unimaginable. Perfect. MIND BLASTING. Creative. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Snow White and the Huntsman. Harry Potter. Narnia. Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

ROMANCE. Oh God. Here it comes. Who would you choose: someone you loved first when you were little or someone you loved second while you were growing up? I loved the romance contrast that at some point, choosing is hard. It's the romance I have been craving for -- extraordinarily ordinary with a barb wire around your beating heart. I mean, love triangle with a totally AWESOME twist! Bejeezuz. It totally killed it!

ALYSSA. Free spirited and smart girl. She loves her family so much and will do anything for them to be alright. I love how courageous she is that even though she made few mishaps, she stood and still tried hard to do the right thing -- even at her expense.

JEBEDIAH.  Jeb. What an amazing character! Witty, sarcastic, fierce, loyal and oh so hot! I don't know guys but he's just totally dreamy! His loyalty to those people he care for is just as strong as his personality. And the part where "he bled" for Alyssa? Believe me, I cried so hard. I was taken by surprise that he would do such unbelievable thing.

MORPHEUS. OH GOD. OH GOD. He's absurdly beautiful!!!! Everything about him is to love! His puns are hilarious and I love his entire magical package. True enough, there's selfishness in him but that made his character to watch for. The light in his heart shone in such dark times and no matter what his motives are, his love for Al weighs heavier than any power could offer.

ANITA. She's definitely one of the sweetest and kindest (AND PRETTIEST) authors I have ever chatted with online. I mean, she's no snob and I love that she talks to her readers/fans. Aside from that, she's awesome for writing such magnificent story and she automatically landed my favorite authors and auto-buys lists.

Splintered is definitely one of the awesomest novels I have read this year. There is no way and no one can stop me from raving about this ever! Such magnificent retelling of a story we all fell in love with turning it into a story I am in love with. No recommendations high enough will amount to the fantastic story I got sucked in to! Absolutely worth all the praises and it is a story not only exceptionally written but a story one will never ever forget. *standing ovation*

"No one knows what he or she is capable of until things are at their darkest."
"Memories, real and irreplaceable, all of them. The happy ones, the bitter ones, the terrified and the poignant."
"Tearing down the rest of the world won't make you happy. Look inside yourself. Because finding who you were meant to be? What you were put into this world to do? That's what fills the emptiness. It's the only things that can."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...