Monday, September 22, 2014

REVIEW: HEIR OF FIRE BY SARAH J. MAAS.

Title: Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Edition: Hard Bound
Published: September 2, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 565
Source: Bought from Fullybooked
Category: High Fantasy, Romance
Trailer: Not Applicable.

Synopsis:

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?

No. There isn't a decent introductory paragraph I could think of to start up this review. There is simply none. No right words. None.

It has been a few days now since I finished reading Heir of Fire and as imminent as it could be, am book hungover. TOTALLY BOOK HUNGOVER. I was originally on a horrible reading/blogging slump but WHO WOULD PASS UP GETTING HEIR OF FIRE? I waited so long for this to be published! I got it a week ago and started reading it, but I read it slowly. I don't think a 565-page book should be read in one sitting. I do not think it is advisable to read Heir of Fire in one sitting, for that matter. It should be read slowly, so that you can savor each word. Because that's what I did. If I read it in my normal reading pace, I would have gotten bored. I would have been annoyed by how slow it was. Knowing how easily I get irritated with slow paced stories, I would have DNF-ed this. BUT THIS IS HEIR OF FIRE and there is a special way of reading it.

Heir of Fire is completely different from the rest of the series. I guess each book stands out on different lights. I love how fluid the consistency of the story through each book has been and yet still made each read a totally different kind of adventure. In Heir of Fire, Celaena's assassin skills didn't float much but her Fae side did -- that one side of Celaena I've been thrilled to know about. Up until the middle part of the book, I was expecting that her full blown power would be shown in the fourth book, but what do you know, Maas surely knows how to make awesome surprises. I absolutely loved how Celaena figured everything out at the end that it made my love for her stronger. THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD HAVE GUESSED WHAT SHE FIGURED OUT. The way she connected simple things in the book that I ignore most of the time is remarkable. I don't know how she does it but hell yeah, she's awesome in a lot of ways and dude, she has the 'right' to be arrogant because why not. She has it all and she has proven herself over and over again. And honestly? I missed her being that way because am slowly seeing her "soft side".

I've read most people were expecting much of Chaol and Celaena. I love them together, don't get me wrong but I kinda liked how Maas focused on the growth of each character independently. They value each other the same way but I liked seeing each one of them think, feel and decide on their own, you know, without physically influencing each other. In this way, I got to know them a little bit deeper, not how they would act as a person when Celaena is around. Yes, I liked that fact very much. Also, the new characters Maas introduced namely ROWAN WHITETHORN and MANON BLACKBEAK blew my mind to scraps. Man, they were so kickass! I think I should make a separate review for these characters alone because I have so much to say! I couldn't ask for anything more, really. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE HEIR OF FIRE. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT!

Heir of Fire is absolutely worth waiting for. If it takes another year for Book 4 to be published, I will wait with all my heart. Maas' wrote another phenomenal story with such amazing structure that never misses to surprise me. It is mysterious, brilliant and thrilling. Hands down to you, Maas! Another job well done! And I will follow the Throne of Glass series, to whatever end..

"She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one."
"You cannot pick and choose what parts of her to love."
"You didn't need a weapon at all when you were born one."
"She was still on the fall down. There was no getting up, because there was no bottom."
Yeap. She's fully tabbed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...