Friday, January 3, 2014

REVIEW: THE RUNAWAY KING BY JENNIFER NIELSEN.

Title: The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy #2)
Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen
Edition: Hardbound
Published: March 1, 2013
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 331
Source: Bought from Fullybooked
Category: Romance, Fantasy
Trailer: Not Applicable.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and NobleFullybooked

Synopsis:

A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?

The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!
I started reading The False Prince's second installment, The Runaway King, November of last year. I was halfway through when an unforeseen burn out came in the way that I had to take a long break from the blogging world. I haven't touched a book in a month at all. But since the break is over, I know I have to finish this. I thought it would feel like a chore. Like am just going to force myself to finish it. But Nielsen's writing lifted my spirit and the story about Sage and his fight for his country seriously motivated me to go back and do what I love best -- reading.

After Sage or Jaron was crowned King, his enemies didn't stop to torment him and threaten his kingdom. In the amid of an upcoming war against Carthya, Jaron needed to act fast. The King of Avenia and the Pirates were allies in bringing Carthya down. So Jaron, as a King, needed to protect his country and did what wasn't expected at all -- he went to the beast's belly to become a pirate.

Sage/Jaron definitely matured in this installment. I loved how his sarcasm progressed and lead me to believe he was just bluffing a lot of things. I adored his overall personality that even though sarcasm is a negative trait, it made him what he's supposed to be. Courageous, loving and selfless King he is and I know he would succeed. Humility wasn't what I expected him to learn but Nielsen didn't forget to teach him a lesson! His character made such amazing impression on me in The False Prince and he carried that impression till the second book. What I loved most is that no matter how boastful he is, he finds ways to back up whatever he says. Like the word humiliation didn't exist in his vocabulary. At his young age, it is truly impressive. As a King, it is truly respectable.

It pains me to think of what happened to Jaron and Imogen. I know how deeply Jaron cares for her but just because she isn't royal, they couldn't be together. Selflessness again took over because Imogen understood her stand and Jaron accepted their fate no matter how much it ripped him. I am hoping that eventually, in the last installment, their love would find hope because they pretty much belong together, they compliment each other beautifully.

Nielsen never disappoints. Not in any aspect of the book. The plot was stunning, the writing was witty and "accent" sexy, characters are all well developed and thought of and the twists of every event leads to discoveries not only of secrets but motives and truth. The Runaway King deserves so much that I couldn't type and collect the right words to explain how satisfied I am with the story. Truly mind blowing. One of a kind. Magnificent.

 "Everyone gets scared at times. It's only the fools who won't admit it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...