Saturday, February 18, 2017

REVIEW: SOUNDS LIKE SUMMER BY SIX DE LOS REYES.

Title: Sounds Like Summer
Author: Six de los Reyes
Series: Summer Storm Series but can be read as standalone
Edition: Paperback
Publication: 2016 by Anvil Publishing Inc.
Source: Bought from National Bookstore
Pages: 128
Genre: Mental Illness, Romance, New Adult, Contemporary

Synopsis:
It’s not just a weekend for Lux Castelo. She has a plan, of course.

Phase One: Escape to the beach for a music festival.
Phase Two: Deal with what she can’t control.
Phase Three: Return to reality whole and ready.

Nowhere in that plan is Micah Jacinto, self-proclaimed adventurer and the kind of boy with his head stuck in the clouds and the moon inked on his arm—everything her rational sense tells her to stay away from. And yet Lux finds herself welcoming the distraction. As they spend the entire weekend together, Micah leads her to rediscover the lost pieces of herself amidst the excitement and the confusion of a raving mosh pit.

But all weekends come to an end and Lux needs to return to the dreaded reality she’s running away from. Does being brave enough to leave summer behind mean being brave enough to ask Micah to stay?

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:
▴ National Bookstore ▴ AmazonAnvil

My thoughts in bullet points:
  • Pacing is slow.
  • Coachella feels! HUHUHUHUH
  • Lux is sarcastic and I like it haha.
  • I think I've read lines bashing other girls though.
  • She's unbelievably uptight.
  • She's all self-preserving but agrees to share a room with a random guy like it fucking defeats the purpose.
  • There are bits and pieces of her I saw myself in like the sadness and how she shuts everyone out but most of the time I was just pissed off at her. I wanted to connect to her even for just a little bit but I can't.
  • She said she had perfect attendance but she cut classes?!
  • Micah is legit too good to be true but I am glad he's there for Lux.
  • I was so surprised to find out that Lux is depressed. I mean, nothing says depression in any of the publicity materials. Could be triggering to other readers.
  • When Kara confessed she would have dated Micah, it could have been the cue for Lux to kind of bridge them together but of course she didn't.
  • Typos here and there.
  • Yes to Cubao and Zambales! It always makes me happy to be able to easily imagine the setting because I know these places!
  • Six's writing legit is science plus a little bit methaphorical, I LOVE IT! (But this book made me stop being a user of "I love you to the moon and back" phrase)
  • Cover love because look at that beauty and music? MUSIC IS LIFE woohooo!
  • The connection between Micah and Lux strongly felt forced.
  • Leaves you that heavy feeling even if the ending isn't.
Sounds like Summer felt so different in ways that only made me feel upset (most of the time). Well, technically I had mixed feelings about it. I know in my heart that this is a 2-star read for me but there are aspects I truly appreciated and enjoyed so I bumped it up by one star. Its just that I couldn't connect to and with the characters. The ending didn't lift that heavy feeling in my chest. You know that feeling when people expected for the pain to go away just right after a quick 'sorry' but it actually didn't? I don't know really. Maybe a re-read in the future would make me change my mind.

"This is where the scientific method fails me. This is where all my knowledge of the universe, of atoms and the molecular basis of life prove inadequate. I can tell you why the sky is blue, why Manila sunsets are so vivid, I can show you the chemical reaction in a kiss, but I cannot explain the brightness in Micah’s smile. I have no elegant solution to the problem wracking my head right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...