Monday, September 3, 2012

REVIEW: HEX HALL BY RACHEL HAWKINS.

Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: March 2nd 2010 by Hyperion Book CH
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 323 pages
Genre: Romance, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal

Synopsis:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

I've read too many dystopian books these past few weeks that my mind's been clouded with too much action and some serious emotional effect. I never thought I would need a break from it and in search of a book with a lighter approach, I grabbed Hex Hall.

Since I really want a story with typical high school romance, girl-fights and friendship with a little bit of untypical twist, Hex Hall is the perfect book. Sophia Mercer is a witch sent to Hex Hall, after using her power for a love-spell gone wrong just to learn to control her powers. Her journey had been a bit rough for she had no idea who her father really was, how powerful she could truly be and the boy she fell in love with was her enemy's boyfriend. Nothing made sense to her until she met a ghost, her great-grandmother Alice.

I initially had anticipated what some of the characters would do. However, the more I get to know each and one of them, I clearly had the wrong impressions. Also, the moment I heard vampires, Seelie Court, wolves and brooms, I began to feel slightly disappointed for I thought this would be another one of those books with so much striking similarities with my previous reads only to be proven wrong again.

You could relate easily with Sophie's sarcastic yet hilarious character just as her new best friend JENNA did. She retorted to any types of bullying that made me like her more and I think everyone should know how to fight back, Sophie style! She's just the perfect character I've been searching for the longest time, a character who know how to act, say and do things the way you're supposed to. There maybe some instances when she broke down and cried like a baby but definitely not to make her look clingy but instead normal. I couldn't help but laugh because of her wits and am also glad that finally, I've devoured my time with a story that did not have a love triangle ruining my expectations.

Rachel Hawkins left me giggling over Archer and I believe he's more than what he's been labelled. Looking forward to reading Demon Glass and saying that this story is such sickly adorable is truly an understatement.

"The "Holy-crap-that's-a-lot-of-pink" zone would have been a more accurate description."

4 comments:

  1. Aww. I love Sophie. And JENNA! How could you forget to mention Jenna, you silly, you. A lesbian pink-loving vamp is THE vamp of all-time.

    XOXO Kim the Snuggle Bee

    Oh yes, Hex Hall was my first review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna rocks and Demon Glass is even better. I'm not an Archer fan though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...