Sunday, February 10, 2013

HUDDLE POST (3): CONFERENCE ETIQUETTE AND THE LIKES.


One of my favorite bloggers Kelly from Radiant Shadows shared a discussion post about ARCs, Blog Hauls and Jealousy on her blog. I suggest that before you go read this entire entry, check out first what she wrote and pointed out because I love and support it.

This post is just basically my reaction to what bloggers (not all) are fusing about and my answer to Kelly's question:
Am I the only one who feels like we’re being a little too sensitive on this “issue” or do you think people are right to get upset with bloggers who “show off” their big hauls?
Okay. Honestly? It makes me raise an eyebrow. Not to Kelly. But the "issue" itself. First of all, you guys know how much dedication book blogging requires. We have to invest so much time (reading and writing) and money (buying books or even having our own themes tweaked by pros) to make our blogs pretty, updated and of course, attract followers. Now, making a blog as successful as those well-established ones need hard work. And I think, their stats show it, don't you think?

Why would some people get upset when a hard working blogger gets ARCs or post big book haul?

Probably because they're way too insecure. That their insecurity eats them alive that it makes them think irrationally.

Probably because they're too far from a conference's location or busy to attend. I live miles and miles and miles away from US but I don't know, I feel happy for those people who always get to attended signings or conferences and I use it as a motivation to be a better blogger. I know some people feel that way too. I seriously ENVY those who get to attend BEA, SDCC, ALA, NYCC etc yet I appreciate their efforts in sharing what they've gotten and what they've experienced/seen.

Probably because there's no affirmation from publishers. I think we really don't need it. We book blog because we love books and reading. Being recognized by the publisher should always come as a bonus for us. If they don't send ARCs, we shouldn't get upset and instead keep working hard.

Probably because those people who post big hauls are just proud of their accomplishments as bloggers. Actually, this is possible. Only some people's judgements are.. wrong.

There is no instant success in this world, literally. Everything requires HARD WORK and DEDICATION. Plus, why think of those bloggers who share their BIG HAUL as show offs? These are just people like you and me who wanted to share what they have. They wanted to share how happy they are for the new titles that would pile their TBRs up and then would complain later. Just like you and me. Why can't we just all be supportive of each other or be happy for each other? No etiquettes should be made for posting hauls because aren't we all mature for this? If you know you're not supposed to post something or if you are unsure if you could (only if there are instructions not to post), then just don't. Kelly is right that we are just being a little to sensitive about this issue and we should all be friends in this community. And Katie is right too, she learned her lesson from the past that she just wanted to share it to prevent people from making the same thing but shoving and running? Come on, guys. We are better than this.

Isn't blogging a form of self-expression? Nothing should stop us from posting/sharing our thoughts or even our hauls. Nothing. Unless we're filming our vlogs naked.

*hugs*

12 comments:

  1. Haters hate. Of course book envy is inevitable and IMHO, it's just poor taste to attack someone just because they want to show off the books they got. Who knows, maybe they're lives are miserable and their hobby is what's keeping them from doing other bad stuff?

    We always have to option to unfollow someone. So just stop following a blog if they annoy you rather than start some drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Butr you're right. We are all free to unfollow.

      But question, why would they get annoyed? They can go ahead and purchase books right?

      Delete
  2. hahah LOL I get jelly a lot especially when I see Louisse's haul! They are ah.ma.zing.! hahha but i don't hate them like I want to kill them cuz that's just weird. HAHAH great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chyna!! :D Well, I get jealous but just a little. I am always happy for Louisse. she even let us borrow her ARCs so why get upset with that right? :) I love you girls and you have my support! :)

      Delete
  3. I have to add that blogging is NOT WORK, it's FOR YOU TO BE HAPPY about certain things that you like or love about your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for me it is because I work hard for it! It just so happen that I really love my work!

      Delete
  4. I completely agree with you on this one! They're just insecure and jealous. It's normal in the first place, somehow they should just need to control their jealousy and just be happy for the accomplishments of others. Great post, hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking to my post Kate! I didn't realize this was such a hot-button issue until I posted about it and saw how opinionated everyone is on the subject. If nothing else, I'm glad it's stirring up some discussion :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Of course I would link you up! I saw your post around 2am and I got annoyed with those people who get upset about the "issue"! Just have to voice it out :D

      Delete
  6. Love your post!

    Who doesn't get a little jealous at times? But really it should be for a fleeting moment or at least not bring about drama. I actually enjoy looking over everyone's hauls. It lets me see what reviews I have to look forward to for books I'm curious about or makes me look further into a book I hadn't heard of before.

    Plus, being a book blogger, although it is incredibly fun and I love it, it is a lot of hard work. I have only been blogging for like 7 months and I am just now starting to get a few ARCs from netgalley and such, but it doesn't bother me, I've got to earn my way. So since it is a lot of work who can blame someone for showing off their haul when they have worked so hard to get it? I agree with you there.

    I also am not able to go to any of those wonderful book blog conferences and such because of where I live and a lack of funds, but I wouldn't get pissed if people showed off their loot. I may envy them for getting to go, but that is about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Being a book blogger isn't just a walk in the park and showing ARC hauls one acquired shouldn't cause drama. Its like our reward for a job well done! I just don't understand why some people would get pissed about it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...