Wednesday, July 24, 2013

REVIEW: HOPELESS BY COLLEEN HOOVER.

Title: Hopeless (Hopeless #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Edition: eBook
Published: December 17, 2012
Publisher: Atria Books
Pages: 406
Source: Amazon
Category: Contemporary, Romance, New Adult
Trailer: not applicable
Synopsis:

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies.In this #1 New York Times bestselling novel by Colleen Hoover, author of Slammed and Point of Retreat, Sky meets Dean Holder, a guy with a reputation that rivals her own. Holder has the ability to invoke feelings in Sky she's never had before. In just one encounter he leaves her terrified yet captivated and something about him brings up a rush of memories from the past that she’s worked so hard to bury away.

Sky knows Holder is nothing but trouble and tries to keep him at a distance, but he is adamant about learning everything he can about her. Sky finally caves to his unwavering pursuit, but she soon finds out that Holder isn't the person he's been claiming to be. When the secrets he's been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky's life changes forever.
Hopeless is SO incredible!

I have been seeing so much good news about Hopeless on Twitter. As in a lot of good things. I decided that since I am still a baby when it comes to the New Adult genre, I would definitely try this one out. OMG guys. IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I MADE EVER.

Sky is going to college in a year but she doesn't want to spend her senior year home schooled. When her mother lets her enrol into a public school, she instantly gets a label because of her reputation of making out with lots of guys. She's very indifferent about it though and even wishes for mean girls to be at least creative with their insults. When she goes to a grocery store after school, she sees Holder and he weirdly follows her to her car. For the first time, Sky felt something cripples in her body and according to her best friend, it's lust. She doesn't have any idea that their world is about to collide and secrets buried for thirteen years will be finally exposed.

The thing with Hopeless, it took my whole existence into a totally different dimension. It have given me the ultimate shock ever in my life coming from a book! I have tweeted about this and it honestly ruined me, ruined my expectations, ruined my love for reading. Whatever I have set up as my personal standards for loving a book, it completely ruined it! Because of Hopeless, I had to make and add a new verdict metric! Seriously, five stars wouldn't do it justice! It may have been unfair with my previous reviews which I know deserve this kind of rating but without Hopeless, this wouldn't even be possible. I LOVE THIS NOVEL TOO MUCH IT HURTS. I mean, the twists were all out-of-this-world-heart-numbing-painful and I really really could feel the emotions pouring out of the pages. It was sort of magical for me. The experience was so overwhelming I wanted to read it again. I thought at first it was just you know, a typical NA Contemporary but it was everything I have never expected it to be. I didn't really see that coming. I love the entirety of the plot. Hoover's take on suicide and sexual abuse was so bold that you want to help raise awareness and it wasn't just about sympathizing the victims, in this book, I somehow felt like I was the victim. It let me see directly through the eyes of each characters so vivid, so real. And probably the major thing that seriously captured my soul was how Colleen turned "making love" into a higher level. She was able to give it so much meaning and it wasn't even just merely sex but something full of soul and deeper meaning. It was just amazing. There weren't any dull moments in it.

The love I have for the characters weighed so heavy my heart can barely sustain it. We all have a very good set of characters. And let me try and enumerate them again.
* Six - phenomenal bestest best friend in the whole wide world that I loved to bits because of her witty attitude, thoughtfulness and respect for her friend.
* Breckin - second bestest best friend in the whole wide world that I would really really like to have in my life! I love all my gay friends and they bring so much color to everything they do and everyone they meet. They are definitely happy people. They make me so much happy.
* Karen - my kind of mother! She's awesomely selfless and her character's very loving, understanding and protective in such a way that she's willing to lose herself in order to save lives from the brink of disaster. I want to give her character a hug and a round of applause.
* John - if I only liked swearing, I would've swore and called this character names he so deserves. I don't and will never understand how a person can do such horrible things. I want to puke and an apology will not compensate whatever damage he had done. Ever.
* Sky - she's the toughest, smartest, weirdest, funniest female protagonist I have so far encountered. She was so emotionally stable and mentally tough! I adore her for being so modest despite the secrets laid on the table for her. I thought she would break down at some point but even though she's on the verge of being so, she managed to fight back and tried thinking clearly. She survived this tragic event in her life not only because she wasn't resilient but also because of how her support group protected her to her best interest. She was hurting but she chose to accept the bitter reality and embrace her present for a clean slate. I wouldn't have handled that well at any point.
* HOLDER. THE DEAN HOLDER. - the most whipped boyfriend in the whole wide world absolutely turned my legs to noodles. Like overcooked noodles. I almost put post-its on every page where he's talking because he's so quotable! I LIVE HOLDER SO MUCH. I love how he reacts to things annoyingly, the way he jokes and remember things about Sky, the way he thinks and feels is amazing because he knows exactly how to make someone feel better without being hypocrite. They fact that he thinks first before he delivers his thoughts is beyond a hundred handsome points! DAMN, THIS GUYS IS NOT ONLY HOT BUT TRIPLE HOT! He's got the heart to love beyond what love means! HE'S IMPERFECTLY PERFECT!

Hopeless is the enigma of one's capacity to love after being shattered to pieces. It brings empowerment to those who have been destructed yet survived such horrific incident that leaves an unalterable scar. It breathes healing and it shows that even after a tornado that wrecked every bit of one's soul, there's still a very brilliant rainbow in one's heart. Magnificent novel, entertaining and moving. Most of all, the novel hits home.


"The sky is always beautiful. Even when it's dark or rainy or cloudy, it's still beautiful to look at. It'll be there no matter what and I know it'll always be beautiful."
"..I need you to watch me give you the very last piece of my heart."
"My lack of access to the real world has been replaced completely by books, and it can’t be healthy to live in a land of happily ever afters."
"And while I could sit here and feel sorry for myself, wondering why all of this happened to me..I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to wish for a perfect life. The things that knock you down in life are tests, forcing you to make a choice between giving in and remaining on the ground or wiping the dirt off and standing up even taller than you did before you were knocked down. I'm choosing to stand taller. I'll probably get kicked down a few more times before this life is through with me, but I can guarantee you I'll never stay on the ground."
"Sometimes you have to choose between a bunch of wrong choices and no right ones. You just have to choose which wrong choices feels the least wrong."

4 comments:

  1. You're making me want to drop everything and read this right now! (wish I could) So glad this book meant so much to you. I hope I'll feel the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how much I totally loved this novel thinking that I wasn't expecting anything from it. I hope you'd be able to read it soon because I wanted to know what you think!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to get acclimated to NA books, the ones I've read so far are criers and as I read late into the night, I always wake up with swollen eyes and clogged sinuses. But I do know that CHoover's stories are super awesome, I will try her books one of these days... when I'm brave enough.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...